Thread: Fly Casting at Winelands Fly Fishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fly Casting at Winelands Fly Fishing

Join Ben Pretorius from Ufudu next week 10am Saturday the 9th of September at Eikendal. Please let us know if you will be joining us by contacting the shop on 021-855 2646.The casting clinic is free, mahala, gratis en verniet.

Over to Ben:

"The prospect of some serious fly fishing looms large as spring and summer draw closer. With this in mind, I shall be running casting demonstrations/clinics at selected venues in the near future with the aim of inspiring and improving casting skills.

The clinics will underline the importance and real value of the overhead cast as the basis of all other casts. An overhead cast with high line speed, tight loops that is effortless will enable you to master the single handed Spey cast, also referred to as a roll cast.

I have found that the single handed Spey cast or roll cast with some variations, is the most useful and effective cast when fishing on rivers and streams. That said, I have also discovered that it is a cast most misunderstood and underutilised by the majority of fly anglers.

If you are able to make an accurate 60-70 foot roll cast with good loops, this skill will add to your enjoyment of this wonderful sport as it opens up a whole new dimension and it will catch you many a fish. The added bonus is that these casts also have very practical applications for the serious saltwater angler."
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 31-08-17 at 09:23 AM.