Thread: Decent Tiger & Salt water rod

Default Decent Tiger & Salt water rod

Hi guys just a quick question ive been checking online and am thinking of getting a 9wt rod for mainly tiger fishing and possibly some medium salt water fishing ( Boat mostly). What are your opinions on the reddington Predator vs tfo bvk vs sage Motive? There are number of mixed reviews so would be great is I can get some opinions from anyone that have used or owned any of these rods. If there is another better rod option please advice, I am not going to be targeting skittish permit on the flats or in mangroves anytime soon so for tiger and boat fishing I believe a med to fast action would be better for some distance and better in the wind?

I have not used the Redington or the Sage but have caught quite a few tigers on my 7wt BVK. Handles big flies without any issues, i can cast a 300 grain line which is very heavy without problems, decent backbone and it is light so casting all day doesnt give you any fatigue
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thanks for the reply Bryan, you are evidently happy with your BVK. Heard good reviews on the 7-8 weights 9 weight not much info?

I believe there is a big difference btw the 8w bvk and the 9w.... 8w consistently comes in the top 10 flats rod shootouts... The 9w I would think from reviews I've heard is more of power stick and less finesse like the 8w...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    I believe there is a big difference btw the 8w bvk and the 9w.... 8w consistently comes in the top 10 flats rod shootouts... The 9w I would think from reviews I've heard is more of power stick and less finesse like the 8w...
    Hi Stephen that's my take on it as well, what other light weight 9w rod is a proven performer?