Thread: Member update

Default Member introduction & Yellows question

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've last visited the forum, so I thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself again before asking any questions. My flyfishing journey started back in 2011 when I bought my first rod from Philip at Eikendal. I fished a few dams in the Cape area as well as the cape streams for trout before moving down to KZN in 2014. I then became a member of NFFC and fished the club waters for trout and scalies for about 2 years before moving to Pretoria in 2016. (Still a member of NFFC though.) Since I've been in Gauteng I've been to the Vaal a couple of times and also joined the Haenertsburg Trout Association where I fished the Magoebaskloof area a few times.
    Now for the question: I'm interested in targeting Small- and Largescale yellowfish as their distribution is quite a bit closer to Pretoria than the Vaal. The only problem is that the sections of rivers available to the public is usually not in a good state I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If anyone knows of good places or areas to target these fish, please let me know. I know people usually do not want to share their secret spots publicly, so PM me if you are willing to share with me. Also, if anyone is looking for a fishing partner on a weekend, please let me know. I would love to join.
    PS - I have access to a private section of the Bronkhorstspruit upstream from the dam but have not been able to catch or see any fish there. Does anyone know if the Bronkhorstspruit stream flowing into the Bronkhorstspruit dam (upstream from the dam) holds any yellows?
    Thanks.
    Coenie Enslin
    Last edited by Jodamvis; 02-11-17 at 12:27 PM.