Thread: Nautilus X series

Default Nautilus X series

Good day gents

Anybody using the new "X" series, think of getting an XM or XL for my 5 weight SM set up.

I'm also busy putting together a 9wt sharptooth setup and thinking of the XL Max, this setup will also double as a SW setup so also considering the CCFX2 6/8.

Anybody using any of these reels or have feedback?

https://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/nautilus-ccf-x2/

https://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/nautilus-x-series/

Thanks Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Personally I don't have any experience with the Nautilus reels and have to admit, for me, it is one of the most aesthetically pleasing reels out there. I have a few clients who have owned some of the top notch reels out there and fished destinations where reels are tested, they are now dedicated Nautilus owners. I know the guys at Mavungana bring in Nautilus reels.

I know years back, the drag system on the first Nautilus reels could only be opened and serviced by Nautilus themselves not to void the warranty and apparently were based on the braking system of a Rolls Royce. This might be a consideration. Same with some of the Hardy reels.

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Anthony,

Personally I don't have any experience with the Nautilus reels and have to admit, for me, it is one of the most aesthetically pleasing reels out there. I have a few clients who have owned some of the top notch reels out there and fished destinations where reels are tested, they are now dedicated Nautilus owners. I know the guys at Mavungana bring in Nautilus reels.
    Yeah I absolutely love the aesthetics of them, I then started reading up on them and so my fascination has started

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    I know years back, the drag system on the first Nautilus reels could only be opened and serviced by Nautilus themselves not to void the warranty and apparently were based on the braking system of a Rolls Royce. This might be a consideration. Same with some of the Hardy reels.
    Yes it is still the same, you have to send the reel back to them. However having said that they carry a full lifetime warranty to the original owner including parts and labour, you are only responsible for shipping and insurance costs. I don't get to fish nearly as much as I used to, in fact probably only 10-15 days on the water a year max so would probably be a few years before I need them to get serviced. shipping is currently around 100 USD return via UPS/DHL etc so R1000-R1500 every 5 odd years is not the end of the world.

I plan to buy them online from Stillwater's, anybody had any experience with them?