Thread: Upgrade on an 8wt Redington DFR?

Default Upgrade on an 8wt Redington DFR?

My old Red has served me well and still does after many years of abuse. Never complains, just works. I believe it is rated as medium-fast action. But a long day casting this heavy rod (140g on my kitchen scale) in the wind has me wondering if it is time to replace it with something lighter. Even the Xplorer Classic II weighs less and can take a 9wt line.

I fish Swartkops estuary for leerie and skippy, so priority is distance in windy conditions, throwing weighted clousers 95% of the time as well as some foam poppers.

No specific budget just yet, but scouting in the R2k-4k range as a start.

The Xplorer Guide II looks nice and light in 9wt (111g). I have the Classic II in 5wt with which I scratch for grunts and small leerie once in a while, so I am familiar with the brand and have never had issues with warranty claims.

I am reading some contradictions on the web regarding the new TFO Axiom II regarding distance casting. Is it a better option than the BVK? It weighs 100g vs the BVK's 90g in 8wt.

Any other options I should be looking at - one of the new Redington perhaps?

I love my BVK. It's light, and has plenty of backbone. The cork quality could be better for the price point, but other than that it's a brilliant rod.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I love my BVK. It's light, and has plenty of backbone. The cork quality could be better for the price point, but other than that it's a brilliant rod.
    What weight have you got? Reel?

I see the 8wt BVK is extremely light - would one specifically have to choose a lightweight reel to match? Most of the rated saltwater reels (e.g. Shilton) are significantly heavier than the Redington Rise that I fish with now. Or should I say "had" been fishing until now. The unsealed drag packed up ages ago and with the monster leeries and skippies that the Swartkops river has been producing lately I have switched over to a Pentz Predator 9-10-11. Not sure how much it weighs but with backing (quite a bit of it) my scale showed 290g. That is more than 10 ounces. The Rise is 220g including backing and line, about the same as a bare Shilton SL6.

The heavy Predator does not actually feel out of place on the heavy DFR rod and it does not impede casting, at least not for the first hour or so...