Thread: Tongariro NZ

Default Tongariro NZ

Hi

I am visiting family in Auckland next month but have managed to find/negotiate a few days 2/3 of fishing on the tongariro river, from what I have read winter seems to be a good time to fish that area with spawning trout moving up into the rivers out of lake taupo. I was just wondering if any body else on the forum has any experience fishing over there at this time of year and any advice on tackle, tactics etc.

Thanks

Max

Yes, winter is a great time but it can get freezing, so use thermal underwear and neoprene waders. You can hire waders at the Turangi shops. Try to book ahead of time.

Depends on whether you want to nymph upstream or wet-line downstream but the former is the most popular. Etiquette on the river is really important, so give a wide berth to someone doing the opposite of what you are doing.

#8 weight rod with floating line. Need to use a yarn indicator (big and need to be dipped in floatant regularly) and normally 10 ft of 12lb line to a bomb (heavy tungsten fly) and 2 foot of say 10lb fluoro line to an egg fly or a hares ear / lightweight hare and copper should do the job. While the water is clear, it is quite fast running (it is a big river) and fish need to decide quickly, so heavier line is often okay.

Always a good idea to pop into the local flyshop to have a chat and buy some flies anyway. They will give you some pointers. You'll need a special licence to fish that area anyway.

NZ is very tough on bringing in animal products, so if it was me, I'd buy flies there.

If I was going with family, I'd hit the river from 1/2 before light till about 9am.

When the kids go to bed, fish the river mouths at night with a sinking line and streamers. You can catch some big fish. Watch what the locals do.

If you have time, try to fish some of the smaller streams running into the lake. I've had my best fishing session there.

Thanks for the advice I will let you know how it goes

Hi Max. I live in the Waikato and have fished the Tongariro most of the past 10 winters or so.

May is a bit early for the main rainbow runs (which are from July through October), but there will be a few fish running, especially if there is a fresh. The good news is that May is primetime for brown trout, and some big browns can be caught in the river in May - every chance of catching one over 5lbs - and running over 10 lbs.

The river isn't as big as it used to be thanks to water diversion for hydro power, so you don't need too much rod. Anything from #6 to #8 is fine, with 7 feeling about right to me. Sprat is bang on with terminal tackle setup, although I go slightly lighter on the leader - usually 8lb Maxima. You are fine with bringing flies in, provided they are unused. Just declare everything for Customs.

Neoprene waders are nice and toasty, but I find them a bit cumbersome for walking the banks and I like to move around the river. Breathables with thermal underwear should be fine. Pop into Sporting Life in Turangi to buy your license, a suitable indicator, and some flies. In return they'll give you good advice on where to go and what to do.

Any other queries, just shout.

Cheers
    Kev
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album