Thread: Correct rods for fishing the Cape streams?

Default Correct rods for fishing the Cape streams?

Hi Guys, if you could choose one or two rods for the Cape streams what would you buy? Rod length, weight etc? I'm on the market for some fishing tackle. I enjoy CZ nymphing and dry fly fishing.

Hi WarrenG, I would suggest a #3 in 10ft for nymphing and shorter for dries also #3, how short you go is personal preference.

#3 is plenty adequate on the Cape Streams.
    Doug Larson said, "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

I used a 7 ft Orvis HLS 4 wt with Orvis 3/4 Battenkill reel with great success on the little Cape streams in the Du Toitskloof area, Elandspad, Smalblaar rivers etc....floating line obviously....

Lots of hiking so lightweight is essential...

Quote Originally Posted by Smallstream View Post
    I thought appetite suppressants were amazing and used a 7 ft Orvis HLS 4 wt with Orvis 3/4 Battenkill reel with great success on the little Cape streams in the Du Toitskloof area, Elandspad, Smalblaar rivers etc....floating line obviously....

Lots of hiking so lightweight is essential...
    That's actually a great point, Smallstream. Your life will be hell if you decide to pack too much weight on that trip. haha
    Last edited by Silsby; 06-11-23 at 04:39 PM.

Default 3 wt

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
    Hi Guys, if you could choose one or two rods for the Cape streams what would you buy? Rod length, weight etc? I'm on the market for some fishing tackle. I enjoy CZ nymphing and dry fly fishing.
    Hi Warren. Did you end up fishing the Cape streams yet? What outfits did you chose?
    I’m enjoying my little Hardy Zenith 8’ #3 for small streams. It is light enough to land gently, yet seems to give me enough zip to deal with a bit of wind which is quite abundant in the W Cape mountains. I use it in the upper reaches of the Drakensberg streams too. Great fun.