Thread: Highmoor...

Default Highmoor...

I'm intending to visit the Natal Midlands for the first time since the late 1980's.....

Is Highmoor still what it used to be? Fishing wise I caught my largest trout there (see profile pic)...pic by Steve Cook...

I've seen older posts on this forum but not recent one's (still finding my way around)

Is it still accessible by 2 wheel drive like it used to be....?

From what I can gather...it's now a bit of a slog to get to the waters. I recall being able to drive up pretty close to the bottom lake...

Would appreciate an update from fisherman in the area...

Also - the Little Mooi was a favourite of mine...the pools bubbling with activity just before sundown....how are things there nowadays....?
    Last edited by Smallstream; 16-05-19 at 11:39 AM.

Hi Smallstream,

I have been there once, think the year was 2012. Absolutely loved it, especially the top dam where we had to walk to, couldn't drive there. We didn't get any monsters but surely quality fish. We were shore based and you definitely need a tube to get the most from the water. One of the locals arrived with his tube (which he carried some distance) and he mentioned a 12 pound fish that he caught there. Loved the setting of the top dam.

Thanks for the feedback bud...I was broken up by a ''monster'' there which I never got a chance to glimpse at....simply grabbed the little DDD and headed for the reeds where it turned into a bulldog until it snagged my line..
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price..