Thread: I might get scolded for this...

Default I might get scolded for this...

Hi Guys,

A few weekends ago i caught a fairly sized rainbow trout at Kloofzicht's Mullberry dam.

Basically it was a float line with a white copper beaded wollybugger. After releasing the fish back in the water i noticed fish weren't attracted to the specific fly anymore.

So i exchanged the woolybugger with an exact same brand new one, and voila, i caught another rainbow within minutes.

So my question is; is it necessary to exchange flies after each catch? Do the fish sense something or what?

Kind Regards,
    Etienne.

Hi Etienne,

Speaking from my experience, having stocked put and take and C&R tout fisheries for more than 10 years.

In general the fish will start to shy away from a specific fly pattern after it has been caught with that fly, especially an attractor fly like a white Woolly Bugger. The fish will also start and avoid a fly that moves in an unnatural manner, read strip and pause, fast strips etc. and will focus more on natural food and the way those food items should behave.

So, I would say your fly that has caught a fish and had some fish slime on it, should have been the better fly to catch another fish, but again that is fishing :-)

In general by changing flies after some time and some fish caught and missed takes, a new fly pattern (often smaller), will get you some takes again.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyCraft View Post
    Hi Etienne,

Speaking from my experience, having stocked put and take and C&R tout fisheries for more than 10 years.

In general the fish will start to shy away from a specific fly pattern after it has been caught with that fly, especially an attractor fly like a white Woolly Bugger. The fish will also start and avoid a fly that moves in an unnatural manner, read strip and pause, fast strips etc. and will focus more on natural food and the way those food items should behave.

So, I would say your fly that has caught a fish and had some fish slime on it, should have been the better fly to catch another fish, but again that is fishing :-)

In general by changing flies after some time and some fish caught and missed takes, a new fly pattern (often smaller), will get you some takes again.

Ok great, thanks for the advice!