Thread: Why so quiet?

Default Why so quiet?

Yoh!

This used to be a very busy forum, but I see very little posts now days? Why?

All the old hands asked and shared what they could? Not enough new visitors om fly fishing enthusiasts joining?

Maybe the fly fishing community is dwindling in numbers and the young ones are just not into it. Not sure.

What do you think?

Yes, I've often thought it's a huge pity. It was busy with some great information and good posters.

However it seems common in most forums today. I'm a member of several forums, fishing in general and rugby and other interests. They seem to peak and then go off after being very active.

My take on this is that you'll always get certain posters that get personal, touchy and rude. They spoil it for others and are selfish, egotistical and trouble stirrers.

My sympathies go out to editors and moderators who often have the thankless job of controlling the forums. Feuds break out and unsavoury things are said.

Then the good posters start leaving and it eventually ends up with limited postings with the few faithful. But then even some of them lose interest as pickings are few.

This is a great forum but recovery is difficult because human beings once bitten are twice shy and every body has their dignity and pride. Fragile ego's get broken and it's hard to repair. People need to apologise for past indiscretions but few are strong and honest enough to do so.

It's delicate and difficult and I really think the forums involved need those remaining faithful members to make good building and meaningful postings of both unique and common topics.

It's up to us. I know I'm not a great poster but am willing to add my 2c worth.

Agreed, I have seen it in some of the 4x4 and bike forums as well.

I do believe that offense can not be given, only taken. If you disagree and can not win the argument on merit, you are probably wrong.

I do not have the knowledge to assist with technical questions, but will assist where I can.