Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small Scale Yellows

For what my little contribution's worth, I'll help fight it hammer and tongs to assist. I'm up to my eyeballs in similar matters in the same area. I have very powerful people on-side (no, not of the calibre of Chris Shelton but close to !) and I will be PM'ing Meneer Matuka on what I've tried to do in the past five years along with decent responsible assistance who've meant we've slowed-down if not quite canned some of the scumball 'developments'

The San Juan and other bloodworms patterns will always work. But immitating the natural nymphs will definitely produce the best results. There is also ample opportunity towards evening to catch them consistently on the dry - Adams, Klinkhammer, DDD, various caddis immitations.

The pic in my avatar is of the komati between machadodorp and bloemfontein. Yes bloemfontein.

The river is pretty thin in that area so the majority of the fish were all under a kilo but they out up a worthy fight on a 4#. Contrary to popular belief, I actually got most of them on dark paul's slayer nymphs with quite a bit of flash tied on #6 mustad circles, rather than small delicate flies. When i lifted a few rocks I found out why they were taking such large flies - some of the nymphs in that stretch of the river are about 3 times the size of the mayfly nymphs we get on the vaal!
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    The pic in my avatar is of the komati between machadodorp and bloemfontein. Yes bloemfontein.

The river is pretty thin in that area so the majority of the fish were all under a kilo but they out up a worthy fight on a 4#. Contrary to popular belief, I actually got most of them on dark paul's slayer nymphs with quite a bit of flash tied on #6 mustad circles, rather than small delicate flies. When i lifted a few rocks I found out why they were taking such large flies - some of the nymphs in that stretch of the river are about 3 times the size of the mayfly nymphs we get on the vaal!
    That's right! I know exactly where you mean! This is the REAL Bloem, the other is only the home of Grey Old Boy Springboks. Was there yesterday, the river's a bit low obviouslyand the fish all hiding in the deeper pols downstream

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2