Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Members ~ Search Function

As a relative newcomer to the forum myself, it is very impersonal to be referred to previous threads only, when asking a question. If this happens all the time, we would not get the fresh ideas from those who joined the forum after the thread was closed.

Don't get me wrong, there is a wealth of info in the old threads, it's just nice to interact with current members.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Information also dates pretty fast. I understand if someone has written up a great explanation on a topic and they point you in the direction the post to save them re-writing.

But it can be a mission sifting through piles of threads all dealing with a particular topic, looking for specific info.

Come on people. Stop being so F*CKING LAZY.

Twice today I have referred questions to posts/threads that were posted in the last 48 hours.

Read the posts that people have taken time and effort to post, dammit.

Then use the search function, but be specific in your search.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

Twice today I have referred questions to posts/threads that were posted in the last 48 hours.

Sien julle nou. Nou het julle die oom se g@t suur. Ons wil nie goed twee maal antwoord nie. As jy sukkel, Google dit eers, flytalk is behoorlik geindex daar
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

LOL Herman did you overdo your steak on the braai this afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Sorry guys i have to disagree, it would make the forum to stiff- any forum is about a communication between people of like minds and or people who are trying to find out more about an activiety or pastime, to exclude newbies from a two way conversation would not serve in the best interest of the website.
    I think we have all guided people to the search facility in the past but to direct them there as there first visit to the website i think would be a bit harsh.

cheers
    I like. I've actually been contemplating this issue for a while. We are busy turning into a link culture. "Q: Hey, what do you think of this? A: see HERE and HERE , but then also read THIS opinion, and make sure that you always include THESE.

Also, the search function isn't really that hot, honestly. I wanted to read up on this forum (because I like you guys) about flyfishing vests...and I really lost interest when 11 pages of posts came up that includes the word vest in them. Try filtering through those, and remember to take a few days off work before you start, and then you still might not really get your answer. Much more fun to discuss the topic afresh, and if it bores you, skip to the next thread. No one is forcing anyone to respond.

I do agree though that some questions are being asked when the very topic is being discussed. I also think there should be a beginners corner.

How about a "New members - Please read".

I've seen that on a motoring forum i belong to and it works very well.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2