Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: floating lines

Default floating lines

hi all!!i am on the hunt for a new floating line and not sure which one to get.have to choose between the airflo ridge and the cortland 555.i was wondering if any of you guys have used both??thanx in advance.gavin.ps going to be using it for smallmouth yellows with a 5wt horizon.

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say go for a Scientific Anglers GPX. Honestly the best floating line I've ever owned.

Have a look at this thread as well:http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...flo+Ridge+Line
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

hey thanks for the speedy reply.now am even more confussed!

Quote Originally Posted by gawie View Post
    hi all!!i am on the hunt for a new floating line and not sure which one to get.have to choose between the airflo ridge and the cortland 555.i was wondering if any of you guys have used both??thanx in advance.gavin.ps going to be using it for smallmouth yellows with a 5wt horizon.
    Used to use 555's but bought a couple of Ridge lines when they came out. I would say the ridge lines have less memory and are a better line in general, but Im still not happy with my ridges at the mo. When they are new and clean they are nice but as soon as they get dirty (they pick up dirt a lot easier than the 555's) they get scratchy and dont travel through the eyes as smoothly (or as quietly!). They also get very stiff in the cold but as you're using them in the Vaal, I dont think that will be an issue. Other than that, they are a good line! Just keep em clean.

Saw a little contraption that Liam (nkula_nkula) bought, think it was by Loon, that should keep them pristine. It was a piece of velcro that strapped onto the cork and then had a little loop on the other side, with sheep's wool (i think) inside. It also comes with a line cleaner (solution). I haven't used it but I think I may invest in one.

Hope that helps (probably not )
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    Saw a little contraption that Liam (nkula_nkula) bought, think it was by Loon, that should keep them pristine. It was a piece of velcro that strapped onto the cork and then had a little loop on the other side, with sheep's wool (i think) inside. It also comes with a line cleaner (solution). I haven't used it but I think I may invest in one.
    First I will make sure of this: "If you want to treat Airflo lines to cast better, use Teflon based line treatment (as long as there is no silicon present)"
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Fishing the Vaal in summer does not require any significant line as you will mostly be casting 10m max or Czech nymph with virtually no fly line out the tip of your rod. So, if I was you I'd buy the most economical offer at your local dealer. The Cortland range has always been a reliable choice and at a very good price. I've used House of Hardy which also happens to be from the Cortland family and I'm over impressed! Ok, it is a bit more expensive but taking into account that I've used that same line for the past 3 years without one moment of dissatisfaction - the tip still floating like a demon!

I will go as far as to beg you not to buy the Airflo Ridge line - it is crap! Sure it cast like a dream and that is about it.
    No PAIN No Gain

Gawie, why not join us for the Vaal trip 4? You will get to meet a lot of the guys as well as have an opportunity to learn quite a lot by just talking to Guys like Scythe, Chris Williams, Ferdie, and Michael.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Gawie, why not join us for the Vaal trip 4? You will get to meet a lot of the guys as well as have an opportunity to learn quite a lot by just talking to Guys like Scythe, Chris Williams, Ferdie, and Michael.
    I don't actually belong amongst the names up here - I'm just a drunk that enjoys fishing for what it is and what it brings. I know a few things but if you want really technical information ask them other dudes.
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    I don't actually belong amongst the names up here - I'm just a drunk that enjoys fishing for what it is and what it brings. I know a few things but if you want really technical information ask them other dudes.
    you are too modest Ferdie..take the respect that comes your way, and stay exactly as you are

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast