Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Leader setup for czech and upstream nymphing

I caught a lot of fish on my control fly. I was using control flies with black bodies (some nymph skin, some just thread) and an orange collar of either floss or dubbing.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Herman

It sounds like you are using a New Zealand rig (point fly tippet attached to the bend of the first fly)

What MC, Grant and myself forgot to mention is that these leaders are competition style leaders (NZ rigs illegal in nationals as well as split shot). MC on that note, 40cm between droppers, not much room for error? ;-)

Catch fish on control flies, yes I do. I catch a couple almost every time I go out to the Vaal and at times they out fish my other flies.
    Last edited by Gael; 07-11-06 at 03:37 PM.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing all your tips and advice. We will be leaving very early on Thursday morning and if the Land Rover ***s are with us we should be on the river in the late afternoon. Looking forward to returning to a place which for me is one of the most beautiful in South Africa.

Thanks again,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for sharing all your tips and advice. We will be leaving very early on Thursday morning and if the Land Rover ***s are with us we should be on the river in the late afternoon. Looking forward to returning to a place which for me is one of the most beautiful in South Africa.

Thanks again,
    Darryl
    Just had to remind us what the thread was all about neh? I'm seriously jealous May the ***s be with you and Kevin, and pleeeeeze don't forget to take some more awesome pics whilst you're there.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Just had to remind us what the thread was all about neh? I'm seriously jealous May the ***s be with you and Kevin, and pleeeeeze don't forget to take some more awesome pics whilst you're there.
    Ha ha ha! Herman, with Darryl around I just hope there is time to fish inbetween all the picture taking!

Gael & Herman

I pre tie all the 40cm sections and keep them in zip seal packets in my vest. The droppers are also all very close in length, so the changes can happen fast and I do not need to worry about getting them shorter than 40cm's apart.

To remove the control or top fly from the main leader i simply use the hook point to loosen the loop. quick and very simple.

The control fly must catch fish. It is not simply there to drag the other flies down and if you use circle hooks, then getting stuck on the bottom will not be a problem at all. The reason why the control fly sometimes outfish the other patterns is probably because it fishes deeper than the other two patterns.

MC

MCC,
    I am not 100% sure how you construct this lczech nymp leader setup, could you post some pics plse?

Carel

It will obviously be impossible to take pictures of the leader and drawing it and then posting might also not work. Maybe Philip has an idea?

MC

Hi MC

why dont you just take a photo of the drawing !

Can you not do the drawing in Photo shop or Paint or something?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast