Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Doring River update

Default Doring River update

Attachment 1327
    I managed to capture this magnificent yellow of about 24 inches long with my digital camera on the Doring River close to Elandsvlei this past weekend. Unfortunately my rod was not at hand at the time, but I am sure had it been, I could have dapped for the fish. It came that close to me, almost inquisitively, swimming slowly past, and then returning to the spot where I sat 4 times, before moving on further downstream. The photo hardly does justice to the fish, and I could really have done with a polarizing filter but it is good enough to give you guys an idea. It is just nice to know that specimens like this still thrive in the Doring, despite the ever increasing bass numbers.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Attachment 1327
    I managed to capture this magnificent yellow of about 24 inches long with my digital camera on the Doring River close to Elandsvlei this past weekend. Unfortunately my rod was not at hand at the time, but I am sure had it been, I could have dapped for the fish. It came that close to me, almost inquisitively, swimming slowly past, and then returning to the spot where I sat 4 times, before moving on further downstream. The photo hardly does justice to the fish, and I could really have done with a polarizing filter but it is good enough to give you guys an idea. It is just nice to know that specimens like this still thrive in the Doring, despite the ever increasing bass numbers.

Chris- how many glasses of wine did you drink mate? Looks like a 24 inch log to me
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Have you managed to determine which species of Yellow it is Chris?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Chris- how many glasses of wine did you drink mate? Looks like a 24 inch log to me
    hahaha, very funny! ........if anything, I was a bit dehydrated at that point after walking and stalking in the midday heat. Basically I had just bundu bashed to the river for a drink and took a bit of a rest on the sand bank while I was about it. I had just finished a smoke when this guy appeared from upstream, swimming slowly alongside the bank, and when he saw me, he actually stopped, then swam slowly past me for about 4 metres, and then returned a few times. It was almost as if he was expecting some sort of hand out.....most unusual

I havent found out yet Jasper, but I still doubt very much if it was a Clanwilliam Yellow. The overall drab olive colouration doesnt seem right for Clanwilliam Yellow
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

hahaha

nicely spotted though.. it would have been nice to have caught it... at least you know where she is living for next time...
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Chris waiting in ambush for Yellow - note medium weight tackle (150gr .308)
    ">
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

hehe, I was busy cleaning my rifle you bugger!

Incidentally, I spotted a shoal of migrating Yellows right in front of me while I was sitting there. The river actually changed its sound as their backs and tails broke the surface in the ankle deep water

Anyway, here are a few more pics for you guys. It is really a beautiful part of the world.
    Attachment 1329
    Hot and dry!
    Jasp1.jpg
    Jasper ready for action
    Jasp2.jpg
    in position
    Attachment 1332
    power stroke!
    Doring.jpg
    Typical Doring landscape
    Gary2.jpg
    Gary on a walk and stalk

WOW GUYS!! It really does look lekker there!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    WOW GUYS!! It really does look lekker there!
    It really is!

I am not sure if this should be broadcasted but I'll say it anyway. I firmly believe that the Doring is fast becoming a better bass fishery than the Breede. A big plus is that carp and catfish haven't invaded this system...... yet! The bass are plentiful!

Although I havent posted any pictures of fish, we caught countless numbers of bass between the three of us. I had my fill of a dozen bass after about two hours of fishing and opted to spend the rest of the four days exploring and occupying myself with other things of interest in the area. Jasper and Gary on the other hand made a feast of the fishing, and I was pleased to see them returning with beaming faces and some really good keepable bass every day.

Is this a private water Chris?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast