Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Melkbos diary

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Chris

Next time try and hold the rod- beach rod spikes are for papgooiers who miss the Vaal dam...
    haha...ja ja

It is debatable whether holding the rod would have helped though, at least this way I can't blame myself for striking too soon and pulling the bait out the fishes mouth, which is most likely what would have happened had I been holding the rod

Hey, when you going to join us again Kevin? I'm about to head down there with Jasper just now, so pull in if you can get away from SWAMBO!
    SE is blowing like a bliksem again, but it has been producing good results, so we'll see what happens tonight
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

hi chris,good to see you are onto some fish........please let me know when you go down.id love to join you.....

1)i wouldnt fish circle hooks if i had a choice......are you fishing with a running trace cos if you arent and the fish felt your sinker then thats probly why he dropped you...

2)i wouldnt look to much into the releasing story.....ive never experienced that.you shouldnt hesitate to put them back....thats how fishing goes,sometime you just have to wait and be patient...it could happen in 30 min or 3 hours......right place right time.....more importantly:the right conditions and a bait in the water.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    hi chris,good to see you are onto some fish........please let me know when you go down.id love to join you.....

1)i wouldnt fish circle hooks if i had a choice......are you fishing with a running trace cos if you arent and the fish felt your sinker then thats probly why he dropped you...

2)i wouldnt look to much into the releasing story.....ive never experienced that.you shouldnt hesitate to put them back....thats how fishing goes,sometime you just have to wait and be patient...it could happen in 30 min or 3 hours......right place right time.....more importantly:the right conditions and a bait in the water.....
    Hi Stephen, ja, I've been having a good run. Got another 3 last night. Jasper also got a couple. Will probably be down there tonight again and you are more than welcome to join us. 19h30 till 20h30, the glory hour!

I always use a running trace, but I'm starting to think along the lines of lengthening my hook trace to a bit longer than a metre. I am still missing far too many fish, and until I improve my hook-up rate, I'll keep on experimenting.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

i might just make a turn......maybe i can be your good luck charm....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    ......maybe i can be your good luck charm....
    That should be interesting. Talking of luck, I'm already starting to p1ss the regulars off big time

Arrived last light and promptly threw my bait into a Kobs mouth. I was literally on in seconds after arriving. The rest of the mob who had been fishless the whole day just stood around shaking their heads. There were quite a few mutterings among them after that
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 21-01-08 at 11:00 AM.

What bait did you use?

The good old pilly, nice piece of chocka or a mixed grille?

Cheers,
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Jean_Theron View Post
    What bait did you use?

The good old pilly, nice piece of chocka or a mixed grille?

Cheers,
    Jean
    Pilly with the consistency of porridge!! ... also tried a few combos with Wonderworm
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Pilly with the consistency of porridge!! ... also tried a few combos with Wonderworm
    dead right! My pillies have been semi defrosted in my Safari cooler box and re frozen after every trip at least ten times now, I'm amazed that they are still working

Monday, 19h00. Met up with SWSmith. Wind gusty at times, sea much rougher than previous few days. Water felt a tad colder aswell. Stephen picked up a small Kob on his second cast. My bait just lay there. A guy to our right foul hooked a small undersize Kob in the @rse, how he got that right is beyond me. To add insult to injury, he kept the fish

After that, not a single bite. A lot of loose kelp started making an appearance in the beach break, a sign of SW wind activity out at sea, which also accounts for the rougher conditions. Packed up shortly thereafter, but not before doing a quick temp test. Water was 12 deg C. No wonder the fish were 'off'! I'm amazed that Stephen picked up the one in such cold water.

Do that again, and it's the last time you come fishing with me boet! Well done!

geez you guys deserve all the fish you get, you definately putting in the time. Mr smith, leerie king, and now he hussles your own backyard
    how you doing stephen?
    Nice one guys
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast