View Poll Results: Who got you into flyfishing and taught you ?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Father

30 22.90%
  • Friend

36 27.48%
  • Self taught

85 64.89%
  • A guide or paid for lessons

3 2.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who taught you to fish ?

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    What happened to the Canadian fiance?
    this thread is not about that man
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

One's Pater taught one the gentle art of worm drowning as well as diving which led to a bit of spearfishing.

Still trying to figure out the fly thing...

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    this thread is not about that man
    Sorry Pk,

It was like mixing oil and water.Some things just don't mix.

Lovely girl,lovely family,went and had a little holiday on Montreal.Awsome country and very well rigged for life.

To many differences culture wise."Sy het nie die taal gepraat."

Sorry for ruining the thread.

Case closed.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 07-12-07 at 03:16 PM.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Default My story

My story begins when I was about six or seven years old. My dad did some leatherwork to earn extra money, and so we set out to the Jacaranda Show somewhere in Joburg. My dad would sell his leather goods at a stall at this show and my brothers and I accompanied him.
    At this show I met some kind guys from a flyshop who allowed me to tie my first fly. To this day I don't know who they were, but this is that first fly:
    At this Jacaranda Show I also made my first flycast. One of the other stalls represented a flyfishing resort, and they would have these accuracy and distance-casting competitions each day. The prize was a weekend at the resort.
    About five years later, we moved to a farm where my dad would run a missions training school for the church he was working for. One of the students there was a young flyfisherman named Ruan. I cannot remember his surname, but I asked him if he would teach me to tie flies. I promised me that if I could get a vice, he would teach me.
    The night finally came, and with a borrowed vice I was taught how to tie a whoolly bugger. It was ugly, but it was there.
    Ruan also gave me my first flyrod. This is the rod he gave me:
    From there I was mostly self taught.

The end.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank those involved in getting me into flyfishing, just in case one of them reads this. The folks from the flyshop, Mr. Andrew Soutar, who borrowed me his vice, and of course Ruan
    Last edited by Pheasant Tail Nymph; 07-12-07 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Too long

Pheasant Tail Nymph nice!!!!!

Oh well its Saturday and me and the wif have been summoned to do some shopping (antie and mother *** bless them) so Ill make it short was pap adventures in those dayzz and saw this dude and his dudess throwing this silly looking line in the air (Damn loop da loop) and we thought shame and a laugh that followed. after seeing him catch fish after fish and this was during my first beer all changed after that.

Some ppl say its not the fish but the fishing. I say its all about the fish
    Last edited by Deneys; 08-12-07 at 07:11 AM.
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

My dad has dabbeled just about every kind of fishing there is. He introduced fishing to all 4 of his kids. (3 girls,1 boy)
    So fishing has been part of all of our lives form a young age.
    I remember my brother, my best friend and I (about 8-9 years) begging my dad if we walk to a little pond 2-3 blocks away in Erika rd, to go fishing... Old man says yes, We packed our sarmies, rods and 'coffee grinders' and set off. We were all excited, babbeling on about the big fish we'r gonna catch.
    We spent the whole afternoon out there, and all we caught was a brown 'bobby sock' .
    That is till this day the most memorable and cherished fishing trips I'v had, (although not the most sucessfull)

Later my dad recieved 2 blank fly rods from a friend, and he built them up, and took to fly fishing. My first intro to fly fishing was at about 14-15yrs/o.
    My dad showed me the the ropes, and then set off to go fish some more.
    I loved it!!!... The idea of fooling a fish with realistic looking flys, and casting technique... It's more of a challenge, you'r on par with the fish.

I caught my first trout (rainbow) that day, I also caught the worst sunburn I'v eva had, on the back of my legs... couldnt sit 4 a week. But that was when the bug first bit me.
    We went out fly fishing a couple times after that, but it seemed to have come to a stand still after school.

Then i became a member of the Game rangers Association and thought i'd help out with the Fly fishing fund raiser, and I stumbeled upon this site... and i'v never been more addicted than I am now.
    I'm still very much a newby, but between the Forum and advice from friends it only gets better...

My father and brothers taught me how to bautfish when I was about 5. I was fortunate to have family who were farmers and spent every school holiday on one farm or the other, fishing and wing shooting. Fishing took prefernce though
    About 2 years ago we went to Doornkop Game & Fish Reserve near Machadadorp. They have about 6 dams with trout and ss yellows. I watched 2 guys throwing the long rod one afternoon, and thought, hey this could be fun. Hired a rod the next day and thrashed the water frothy, caught nothing but was "hooked".
    2 months later I bought a Stealth Start #6 rig, went to Mark Yelland for casting lessons and the rest is history. I have probably only missed 2 or 3 weekends in the past 18 months, winter included. I'm actually too scared to tally up what I have spent on my "passion" so far.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Self taught bait fish, then self taught artlure and progressed to teaching myself fly fishing. I think it was the trout articles in the Hengel by the late Jake Blackman that stirred my interest in fly fishing
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

I was born on the Eastern Transvaal High-veld.

My dad has been fly fishing for trout since the early 1970's.

I started out by catching trout by using a Abumatic and a Mrs Simpson tied to the line and a couple of buck shot on the line to give me weight to cast.

We moved to Dullstroom when I was three and I really can not remember when I caught my 1st Trout. What I can still remember is my dad casting the fly and allowing me to retrieve the fly.

And thats how I caught my first trout on a fly rod. I think I was 7 years old. By the age of 9 he taught me how to cast a fly line.

We then moved to Pretoria in the late 1980's and the fly fishing was maybe done once or twice a year.

Now I am in Dubai and I cant wait to get my 1st salt water fish on the fly.

Gerhard
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

All of the above
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast