Page 417 of 437 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,170 of 4368

Thread: WC Streams report back

How are the levels of the streams at the moment?

I am guessing its probably too low to fish with a clear conscience, but just wondering?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Its very low and the fish are skittish as hell.

The higher beats are probably your best bet and I would not bother fishing after midday

I Would actually rather leave them alone and do some other type of fishing to be honest. They are under enough stress if it is low like that.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    I Would actually rather leave them alone and do some other type of fishing to be honest. They are under enough stress if it is low like that.
    Yup I wont be heading out to the streams again until we have had some rain.

Fishing is actually quite good at the moment. I fished a stretch, and had very good fishing, I also chatted to someone recently who fished EP 4 and he said he had one of his best days in a long time. I think many people find the low warm water conditions challenging, and therefore they prefer to wait until it gets easier. I don't think that the stress factor for the fish should be too much of a consideration, as long as they are released correctly, I think its fine.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Good rain predicted for the long weekend
    http://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/...loof/long.html
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

So decided to try pop my CPS stream cherry past Friday on the SmalBlaar's hotel beat.

Got beat up by 2 trout... first one I got so excited about hooking it I did not keep the line tight enough, second one threw the hook as he was displaying his pirouette to me. BASTARDS! Alas I am still a virgin.
    Water was nice and cold, ran very clear (was expecting the tea colour, even "muddy" conditions due to the rain falling), spotted only about 10 trout but I am sure there were many more as my fish vision is a wee bit rusty seeing as it was the first time in 6months casting a fly.

Felt like a complete novice, like it was the first time ever picking up a fly rod.
    In a 4.5 hour 3/4 beat session, (decided to go home early as the trip photographer (The Wife) complained about the cold, rain and howling wind) these are the things I have learnt:
    1. My Short range casting SUCKS ASS!
    2. My Short range fishing is a wee bit sucky...
    3. High sticking...
    4. Keep as much line off the water...
    5. KEEP OUT OF SIGHT! CRAWL ON YOUR FACE IF YOU HAVE TOO!
    6. DON'T SPOOK THE BLOODY FISH YOU ARE PRESENTING TOO!

But I am hooked I'm planning the next trip as I type, think I'll leave the photographer at home this time...
    Last edited by MR.GT; 04-04-16 at 08:23 AM.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Ha ha ha... yeah, nice post. better luck next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post
    So decided to try pop my CPS stream cherry past Friday on the SmalBlaar's hotel beat.

Got beat up by 2 trout... first one I got so excited about hooking it I did not keep the line tight enough, second one threw the hook as he was displaying his pirouette to me. BASTARDS! Alas I am still a virgin.
    Water was nice and cold, ran very clear (was expecting the tea colour, even "muddy" conditions due to the rain falling), spotted only about 10 trout but I am sure there were many more as my fish vision is a wee bit rusty seeing as it was the first time in 6months casting a fly.

Felt like a complete novice, like it was the first time ever picking up a fly rod.
    In a 4.5 hour 3/4 beat session, (decided to go home early as the trip photographer (The Wife) complained about the cold, rain and howling wind) these are the things I have learnt:
    3. High sticking...

But I am hooked I'm planning the next trip as I type, think I'll leave the photographer at home this time...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.GT View Post

3. High sticking...

Some good lessons learned there dude! With those in mind you will pop your cherry soon!

2016-04-04 004.jpg

I fished Beat 6 of the Smalblaar with my youngest son. I reminded him to pack a hat and sunscreen, but when we got there, he put the brightest lumo green cap on that I have ever seen on a trout stream. I said: Are you crazy, the trout will see you coming two days in advance! He answered: Dad, it's my lucky hat! What the hell could I do? It is his lucky hat! As certain as I was that it would screw up his chances, he still got 4 nice fish and stacks of little ones. Now there is simply no chance at all that I'll EVER convince him to fish with another, somewhat duller hat!

The water was nice and cold, but the flow was still lower than I expected after the rain of the past week. I suppose not much fell on that side of the mountains. The water on Beat 6 was clearer than when I last saw it in December, but all the still pools had the same black silt on the bottom, although I think it is less than it was then.
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Page 417 of 437 FirstFirst ... 317 367 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 ... LastLast