Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

Ah, just seen this thread, so here is a repeat from my post in First Fish Caught:

My first fish on a fly was a 12 inch small mouth bass caught on a red and black matuka in the Kouga River at Baviaanskloof. Probably 1991.

My first trout was a rainbow of 14" caught in the Klipplaat River near Hogsback on a black woolly worm. 1992.

My first was with a cousin out on a place just outside Belfast. Cousin gave me a rod for the day and tied on a size 20 elk hair caddis. Remember thinking that there was no chance in hell that anything would be able to even see the fly! But I was trying to learn to cast more than actually catch something. Cast for about an hour with no luck. (By that time cousin had caught about 7 already - all released!) I proceeded to cast out again - (all 7 meters of my casting ability) and started retrieving fairly fast. BAM - fish on! Lovely little 700g stockie. We were allowed to keep 2 fish each, so I kept mine. In fact I went all the way back to the house and put the fish nicely on the "gutting table". The people who owned the place had a Doberman - friendly as hell - but the bugger proceeded to eat my fish! The owner of the place was so embarrassed that he sent his wife out to the dam who proceeded to catch two more fish in about 5 minutes. - Well at least we had a nice meal that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Mine was a Rainbow at Jonkershoek.Very funny once you get the fish out, you don't really know what to do with it. Well I cept it and quess what, its still in my fridge.....
    Cool Chris. If you still have it, it's not too late to release it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by honda2 View Post
    The owner of the place was so embarrassed that he sent his wife out to the dam who proceeded to catch two more fish in about 5 minutes.
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!

That oke is set!

My first fly caught fish was a rainbow, and yes, caught at none other than good old Dullstroom dam. Was back in 94, I can still remember the town clerk booked us into the camping ground, it seemed that guy ran the whole town on his own. Fly was a butcher, still got it in an envelope in my fly tying stuff.

My first fly caught fish was a rainbow trout of about 14 inches caught on a Walker Killer red about 34 years ago. It was caught using a bass spinning rod and some split shot. About a year later I caught my first trout on fly using my Dad's Hardy split cane fly rod. This started the disease which has never left !

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Very first was a stocked Rainbow at the trout farm on the dutiot kloof pass (not the one with the hotel and Piscator). Woolly bugger with a yellow tail.

First non stock fish was a largemouth bass caught in a private dam at Worcester. Used a black mouse imitation.

But... I consider my first real fish on a fly to be a rainbow on elandspad with a parachute.

Mine was a small Natal scaly in the Drakensberg somewhere near Royal Natal. I was six years old, so that makes it 39 years ago. I was with my late father.
    The whole thing is a bit of a blur, but the thing I remember most was my father telling me that it will be a moment I will never forget. So far , like with most things he was right.

When i was about 5 years old i caught 3 2lb rainbow trout. 2 while i was trawling behind the boat and my dad rowed and the last when i was learning to cast from the bank and was reeling in to leave. Memories i will never forget.

My first is the same as my most memorable which i already posted in "Most Memorable" thread
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast