Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Your First Fish on Fly??

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I fished there as well once and got chased by that ostrich. My mate and I just made it through the fence, I just chucked my rods and gear over the fence and scrambled through the barbed wire. I was shaking like mad ,as he really came for us.
    Nice dam, pity about the guard
    a lifetime supply of Ostrich Herl??????
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    a lifetime supply of Ostrich Herl??????
    And, from the sounds of it, nearly human hair and skin as well!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    And, from the sounds of it, nearly human hair and skin as well!
    not a lot of the hair material on Rols head!! ... plenty of skin though!! - could be useful for nymph backs?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

now now boys...,slipped through that barbed wire like a real pro, i never dropped the cooler box though. i did however leave it on the ostrich side of the fence, and it was an agonizing wait till he moved away
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    not a lot of the hair material on Rols head!! ... plenty of skin though!! - could be useful for nymph backs?
    Now you'll get NymphO all excited!

First fish on fly, a 1.5kg stockie on a royal coachmen, wet fly
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Mine was a Rainbow of about 3lbs caught in a dam near Stutterheim in a force 10 gale (1973) - on a Walkers killer naturally!

For the next 10 years or so, all my fishing was done in the Dullstroom town dam, wading in rugby shorts, with the water freezing in the eyes of the rod (A fibreglass Algonquin). Wouldn't change those memories for the world.
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

Quote Originally Posted by Matuka View Post
    Mine was a Rainbow of about 3lbs caught in a dam near Stutterheim in a force 10 gale (1973) - on a Walkers killer naturally!

Gubu Dam was it not? ... where there was always a Force 10 gale!!!

my first fish on fly was a 200grm bass about 9 years ago at Sonstraaldam on some red fly i got in a beginnerskit

my first fish was as a kid, fishing with my dad and was a kurper. my funniest however, and the one the kids still remind me of, was about 5 years ago we were at the voelvlei yacht club sailing a regatta and i had a spinning rod with me. that afternoon, my eldest daughter, about 10 then, and i took a rod and off we went along the rocky ledges to throw a line. Only just getting back into the fishing scene, i was pretty clueless when it came to bass. anyway i happen to hook a stunning fish of about 2.5kg. fight like mad, eventually land
    it, shaking with exitement i give the camera to my daughter so she can take the pic. i had seen in books the guys "lip" the bass, so i get it in position with both hands and prepare to do the lip thing.....as i let go with my other hand this flippin huge mouth just opens as the weight is now on the lip. i got such a fright i just dropped it, straight back in the water. my daughter, with that real, "and now???" look on her face, asks "why'd you do that? i did'nt take the picture". i said i thought it was going to bite me, as this big mouth just opened up. well, being regatta weekend it's difficult to follow your kids around all the time making sure they don't tell anybody
    It was duly mentioned at prize giving and the mandatory "straf doppe" were had. i still get reminded of this, although i think i know a bit more now. i said i think
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast