Thread: SS and LS yellows

Default SS and LS yellows

I only targeted smallmouth yellows since I started fly fishing and now I read allot about people revering to Small Scale and Large Scale. What is the difference?

I also read that you fish them differently, how and what flies as a rule of thumb?

Any light on this subject would be much appreciated!

As far as I know, these fish are traditionally algae eaters, but do take insects and other organic matters that exist within the flow of the river.

They are more difficult in the sense that Czech nymphing for them is almost impossible!
    The approach is to cast to sited fish. Skills with longer lines are beneficial (ie, casts of 15 - 20 ft, mending, presentation). I've heard they spook easily and once caught, will not take the fly in that same day again. There are not many of them around any more due to pollution factors and other influences.

About 3 months back there was an article in one of the TCFF mags by Garth Wellman. Well worth a read. Also, the select techniques and flies of the experts (think thats what its called), the second volume (I think) has a dedicated section on these beasts of the water.

Alternatively, time on the water, with plenty of trial an error will eventually get you into some fish. Try some of the venues out in the Magaliesburg area which have some river frontage, like Kloofzicht and Brookewood!

PS: STEALTH IS A VITAL KEY TO SUCCESS!!!!!
    Last edited by dizzy; 04-01-08 at 05:15 PM. Reason: additional
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Well first off really ... you don't catch SmallScale and LargeScale in the same water as SmallMouth, some people forget that. You will need to find venues on the right rivers.

Look at the sections covering those two species (contributions by Horst Filter, Garth Wellman & some other authors) in FF&StotE (Favoured Flies & Select techniques of the Experts) about LargeScale and SmallScale yellows, good information to start you off there.

My R0.02: Tiny natural looking flies (#18) on thin tippets (5X, 6X if they're REALLY leader shy) with LONG leaders (>14')

Depending on where you are in Northwest, you will have access to good LargeScale water.
    Last edited by Scythe; 04-01-08 at 05:51 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.