Thread: Natal Scalys in Mooi river

Default Natal Scalys in Mooi river

I'm going to KZN for the Midmarmile in a couple of weeks. Heard Natal Scalies are good sport there. Has anybody recently caught any in scalies the Mooi river near Mooirivier(the town)? Any advice or spots/venues welcome
    Last edited by PesVis; 08-01-08 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by PesVis View Post
    I'm going to KZN for the Midmarmile in a couple of weeks. Heard Natal Scalies are good sport there. Has anybody recently caught any in scalies the Mooi river near Mooirivier(the town)? Any advice or spots/venues welcome
    Speak to Shaun Futter, Elizevh, and Huckfin.
    Which reminds me Huckfin has been very quiet. You holding out on us laddie???
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi PesVis

I have recently caught Scaly in the Mooi, in fact on 2 January 2008. It had not rained for a while so the water was not muddy but rather a gingerbeer colour. Seeing that you are doing the Midmar mile you are at the correct spot anyway!!! At the inlet to the Dam, Umgeni River, it is one of the best spots for Scaly, ask around it is know as the "Cascades". You need to get to the river as it enters Midmar Dam, so it is outside the Midmar reserve. Just monitor the rains (has been raining here all week!!) as the water cann get very dirty. If it does not rain for 10 days, the water may be fishable. I will try & get you some road numbers & better directions, I never take note of these.

Cheers
    Alan
    Born to fish, forced to work