Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Using circle hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Gary & Korrie,

If you don't already buy off sets hooks, what is the degree/s of offsetting that needs to take place if you had to do it yourself?
    1,2,3,4,etc. Is there a optimum?

Thanks a ton
    I like to use the "push" method.
    Once finished tying the fly (since the rotary vice owrks better if the bend is not offset to start with), I take my thumb and PUSH the head of the fly away from me, with firm pressure, until I FEEL the hook bend. As soon as I do this, I stop. All you need is ~15 degrees of offset - not much at all, and I rather offset the whole point, rather than a part of it.

This could be better done with a bare hook, since you will then pick up bad tempering etc BEFORE you tie, allow you to throw the hook away, but since I use good hooks (and always debarb, tweak the shank etc) I do it afterwards.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I did try it Korrie,those pre weighed Partridge jobbies. My dislike had to do with the way the hook was weighted and I caught few fish on it. So ja in a way I neglected it cause I had smarter ideas.

Ek gaan weer poebeer Oom.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I like to use the "push" method.
    Once finished tying the fly (since the rotary vice owrks better if the bend is not offset to start with), I take my thumb and PUSH the head of the fly away from me, with firm pressure, until I FEEL the hook bend. As soon as I do this, I stop. All you need is ~15 degrees of offset - not much at all, and I rather offset the whole point, rather than a part of it.

This could be better done with a bare hook, since you will then pick up bad tempering etc BEFORE you tie, allow you to throw the hook away, but since I use good hooks (and always debarb, tweak the shank etc) I do it afterwards.
    Sweet Gary, tell me do you do this on all type of hooks?Streamers, dries,etc.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 24-03-10 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Sweet Gary, tell me do you do this on all type of hooks?Streamers, dries,etc.
    Now, generally, yes, if I remember.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Or you could use Kamasan hooks ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456