Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beadhead Ant - Step-by-Step

Default Beadhead Ant - Step-by-Step

Howdee fellas. Carrying on from Darryl's lead (but with far inferior photos), here's a step by step that I posted a while ago on a uk forum: UK Flydressers. It is a superb fly tying resource for beginners and more advance tyers alike.

I am reading a book called "Terrestrials" by Harrison Steeves and Ed Koch (Available on netbooks) and my bead head ant pattern below fits in nicely with what they say about fishing sunken terrestrials (Although I imagine they would have put a wing of antron or organza or similar on it so add one if you wish).

Bead Head Ant

This is a sunken ant pattern that works very well for me on the cape streams. In my limited time on the vaal i have tried it for short periods but got nothing. I am sure that if it got a decent amount of time on the vaal it'd pick up it's fair share of yellows too.

It is most definitely more successful on hot sunny days when you would expect ants to be out and about. I usually fish it under a dry fly like a stimulator or similar and fished dead drift using the dry fly as an indicator. It’s a good pattern for fishing under overhanging bushes and trees or grassy banks but is also effective drifting it down the main currents. Just match the colours and sizes to those of your local ants.

Hook - #16 Scud 2xH (eg grip 14731)
    Thread – Black 12/0
    Weight – 0.010 lead wire
    Abdomen – I have used black Hends blended dubbing
    Shellback – Scudback 1/8”
    Head – Orange pearlescent glass bead
    Legs & Antennae – Black crystal flash

Step 1
    Place bead on hook, thread two long strands of crystal flash through the bead and secure with the thread.

Step 2
    Tie the trailing pieces of crystal flash forward so they are out the way, then wrap the thread down to the bend of the hook. Apply the lead wire and secure.

Step 3
    Tie in scudback material over lead wire and wrap back to the bend.

Step 4
    Dub over the lead and cover with the scudback.

Step 5
    Pull the trailing strands of crystal flash down each side of the body and secure just ahead of the abdomen.

Step 6
    Make a loop in each strand of crystal flash so that each one crosses the body in the middle of the thread wraps and secure.

Step 7
    Cut the loops, and use the thread to position the centre strands outwards from the centre.

Step 8
    Trim the crystal flash to the appropriate length for the legs (I like leaving the centre pair slightly longer than the other two to give a rounded look) and the antennae sticking out the front of the bead.
    Whip finish and cover thorax with head cement for the finished fly.

"So heres my point. Dont go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thats dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Grant

Excellent pattern, thanks for the post. We need more like this!

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yeah I would love to have a database of our local patterns like the guys in the UK have for theirs. I think these forum step by steps are a awesome way to learn techniques as well as new patterns. I have learned so much from the overseas step by step sites.
    "So heres my point. Dont go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thats dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Wiets Banned User

Thanks Grant!

I'm going to tie a bunch of these!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Howdee fellas. Carrying on from Darryl's lead (but with far inferior photos), here's a step by step that I posted a while ago on a uk forum: UK Flydressers. It is a superb fly tying resource for beginners and more advance tyers alike.
    Thanks Grant, I still have some of these crawling around in my flybox from when you last showed me how to tie them. Pics look great by the way.
    Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

great pattern Grant! thanks
    the patient mental...

Yes, that looks like one of the few really good fish-catchable ant patterns I've ever seen - well done Grant - and good pics-tying sequence of course! Must tie up a few especially as lots of the little beggars seem to be around locally after all the rains experiences here of late.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Yes, that looks like one of the few really good fish-catchable ant patterns I've ever seen - well done Grant - and good pics-tying sequence of course! Must tie up a few especially as lots of the little beggars seem to be around locally after all the rains experiences here of late.
    .... then you may as well tie up some more for the March 2008 flyswap!

Hahaha - think I'll leave it to the dextrous youngsters (to tie flies..) - I've got to get my LM tying act into gear for the LM yellows for O-V1!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hahaha - think I'll leave it to the dextrous youngsters (to tie flies..) - I've got to get my LM tying act into gear for the LM yellows for O-V1!
    You may have to tie a few extra Chris for O-V1 us Capetonians will need all the help we can get trying to catch LM
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast