Thread: Flat or orund lead wire for control or point flies

Smile Flat or orund lead wire for control or point flies

Hi all

Which is better to use flat or round lead wier for tying control or point flies
    A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Tight lines and screeming reels

Quote Originally Posted by Carp king View Post
    Hi all

Which is better to use flat or round lead wier for tying control or point flies

Round lead flattened is advantageous ie slimmer profile same weight.(Controllers)

Square lead is the new flavour of the month.

G

Ps.I use normal stuff for nymphs,different diameters,it depends on the size of the fly.Mostly unweighted ito lead.I might and often only add a bead of relevant size.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 13-02-08 at 11:28 AM.

Neither is 'better' , they both weight your flies don't they ?

It's about personal preference. When I started tying flat lead wasn't easily available and I still don't see it on the shelves all that often so there is no reason for me to specifically find flat lead.

You can also turn round lead into flat lead, Chris Williams mentioned something about running his round lead through his wife's pasta roller (without her knowing about it ofcourse) At worst you could take a normal cake roller or heavy cyllinder and do the same.

Still don't see the point though
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Just to add to my post.

When u flatten the lead using a ruler(That's how I do it or a hammer)be very subtle.To much down pressure will result in lead breaks once u wrap the fly.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Neither is 'better' , they both weight your flies don't they ?

It's about personal preference. When I started tying flat lead wasn't easily available and I still don't see it on the shelves all that often so there is no reason for me to specifically find flat lead.

You can also turn round lead into flat lead, Chris Williams mentioned something about running his round lead through his wife's pasta roller (without her knowing about it ofcourse) At worst you could take a normal cake roller or heavy cyllinder and do the same.

Still don't see the point though
    Square lead when used as underbody for caddis larvae or whatever that don't have segmentation means there are no gaps so theoretically if tied proerly you can add that bit much more weight than with round where there are 'gaps' - agreed, it's not a matter of life or death, but it does work well for it's limited uses

As Chris says in theory by using square lead you can actually get about 30% more lead in your underbodies versus using a piece of round lead of the same length. Its a mission to find square lead though and when you are tying with it you have to be really careful that you dont twist it.
    Check your knots!