Thread: Vaal flow rate

Default Vaal flow rate

Should I be worried if Goose Bay flow rate increase to over 90 cubic meters/sek if I want to fish Elgro tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzers View Post
    Should I be worried if Goose Bay flow rate increase to over 90 cubic meters/sek if I want to fish Elgro tomorrow?
    Yes it was at 40 at 1:00 this morning !! ( provided the data is correct )

Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    Yes it was at 40 at 1:00 this morning !! ( provided the data is correct )
    I have talked to Yellowfever on the phone and he said it will reach Elgro in about 18 hours. It will come down to white water rafting, so fishing will be out for me this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzers View Post
    If it goes up much higher, you're going to battle to find water you can stand in.

Having said that, there will always be places you will be able to fish. the rapids above the pool in front of the lodge will have some wadeable areas which with 'normal' flows are little more than ankle deep.

Just be very very very careful when wading, the rapids BELOW the lodge have some deep holes and stronger current than you might expect, even on normal flows.

IF you can safely cross the first channel BELOW the rapids at the bottom end of the lodge ABOVE the deep pool, you will find some smaller channels on the far bank that might be fishable.

Grandaddy Geelkoors is just scared because he has to deal with the three legged walker machine, difficult to traverse rapids in those things
    Last edited by Scythe; 14-02-08 at 10:26 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

At 40 cumecs I sugest you rather do a drift from the vermaasbridge than fish the lodge.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Fishing the bank section of Aarends Nes might also be an option for you, though wading thorugh to the main channel is out of the question. I have fished this venue up to 120cms but wouldn't recommend this to anyone that isn't experienced on the Vaal
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen