Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Madam X tying sequence

Default Madam X tying sequence

Tying the Madam X Hopper
    Sequence by Mario Geldenhuys

Materials Needed:
     Terrestrial Hook (I used #14 for this sequence)
     6/0 Thread - Colour of choice
     Rubber Leg Material – Colour of Choice
     Coarse Dubbing, like Hare’s Blend of Seal’s Fur - Colour of Choice
     Closed-cell Foam - Colour of Choice
     Deer Hair

Step 1:
    Secure the thread onto the hook, running the thread all the way down to the butt of the hook.

Step 2:
    Cut a small piece of the closed-cell foam and tie in the back of the hook. The shape and size of the foam is up to you. I like to keep it simple, and simply cut a 2-3mm wide piece about 20mm long.

Step 3:
    Apply some dubbing to your thread, and dub the body forward onto the hook, covering about 2/3 of the shank. The 1/3 left will be for the head of the hopper. Make sure to leave enough room – dubbing too far forward is a common mistake. Wind/dub all the way back to the butt of the hook again.

Step 4:
    Fold the foam forward over the shank, but leave a little “butt” at the back (see pic). Then secure the foam by winding forward, creating a ribbed abdomen. I usually give each rib 2-3 winds to secure the foam properly. Stop at the position where the dubbing stops, and trim of the excess foam.

Step 5:
    Cut of some deer hair, about the thickness of a pencil (for a #14 pattern). Make sure the hairs are long enough to create a correct length wing. Use a hair-stacker and align the tips of the hairs. Tie the hairs in as shown. Secure firmly. Trim the deer hair sticking out at the “back” of the head.

Step 6:
    Wind the thread forward to the eye, securing the deer hair. Wind right up to the eye, and then wind back to the foam again.

Step 7:
    Now pull the deer hair back, forming the “bullet” shape if the head. Secure with thread.

Step 8:
    Take the rubber leg material and tie in just behind the head. Make sure you use long pieces, as the effectiveness of any hopper pattern is greatly reduced if the legs are too short (imho). Whip finish the thread, and go fish!

Notes:
    I prefer to use lightly coloured foam, as this gives me the ability to colour it with permanent markers to more accurately imitate the hopper found in a given area. I have also used Gray/Brown Holographic dubbing for the underbody, which has been very successful as well.

You can also download a PDF version here ->http://www.smallstreams.co.za/madamx...m_X_Hopper.pdf
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 18-02-08 at 09:40 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Mario,

Thanks for taking the time to do this tying sequence! This weekend I'm starting to tie for my stream box, and this will come in very handy.

Cheers,

Shaun

very nice
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Hi Mario,

Thanks for taking the time to do this tying sequence! This weekend I'm starting to tie for my stream box, and this will come in very handy.

Cheers,

Shaun
    Thanks Shaun - crappy pics I know, but when you've got a almost-two-year old Duracell munching boy wanting to see everything you do it's almost impossible to get it right

Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Teehee !!

Does anyone else have any nice hopper patterns they could add ?

Teehee !!

Hi Shaun,

Maybe u could add your hopper? Tying instructions,etc.

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-02-08 at 10:11 AM.

Teehee !!

I'll tie a few up tonight and post tomorrow. Have a few nice ones - use them up on the Upper Streams - they work magic, specially in #16 - awesome takes!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Tying the Madam X Hopper
    Sequence by Mario Geldenhuys

Thanks Mario,

Now how would u fish it?Alone or with a nymph suspended ie dry 'n dropper?

Also what is the heaviest nymph ito size u can suspend without the lot going down?

Thanx
    G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Shaun,

Maybe u could add your hopper? Tying instructions,etc.

G
    That one I normally use is a ***** to tie. Quite time consuming, so I'm looking for simpler patterns. Its also a pretty big hopper, that I normally use on the stillwaters

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    I'll tie a few up tonight and post tomorrow. Have a few nice ones - use them up on the Upper Streams - they work magic, specially in #16 - awesome takes!!
    Thanks Mario !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast