Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Fly Rod for casting

Default Which Fly Rod for casting

Which brand of rods do the competition casters use?
    Have you ever wondered which brand of rod the really top casters use for casting only?
    Steve Rajeff used a G-Loomis
    The European champ from a couple of years back used Diawa.

I have googled the subject but have not come up with a lot.
    Are there any of you that know a bit more?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

There is a world casting championship site, they might have a profile on each of their winners...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

the top casters in the 5wt "fishing distance"-discipline (standard WF line, and standard production rod) use or a Sage TCR, or a GLX...
    ...one more last cast...

firstly it depends on who is the sponser of the event. at denver 2 years ago the guys all had to use the orvis zero gravity.
    in the other comps(world distance and others) the guys use their own rods, in some cases specially developed for casting only. go to a us based website called echo. its owned by tim rajeff( steves brother)they also use specially devloped flylines. pretty much like shooting heads for the distance.

Not that it matters to me, but what should one be looking at feature wise if you want a "full fly line casting rod"?

My guess would be TCR's.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

TFO's are for okes that can not cast very well, especialy the Jim Teeny series.

(this means if you are not a good caster, the TFOs especialy the Jim Teeny, will help you make longer casts.)
    Last edited by Fisher; 03-06-08 at 12:01 AM.
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Not that it matters to me, but what should one be looking at feature wise if you want a "full fly line casting rod"?
    Tfo Jim Teeny (but to some guys it's not expensive enough)

What I was actualy saying, Some snoby guys reject them (the TFOs) because being 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price of the Sages and G-loomisis, TFOs achieve the same ore evan more, for less...........bucks
    Last edited by Fisher; 02-06-08 at 11:56 PM.
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Tfo Jim Teeny (but to some guys it's not expensive enough)
    Looking at your profile you are either an alter ego of someone else who is on the forum, or a plain sh*t stirrer who wishes to hide behind "nothing".

If the latter, please p*ss off, or if you have something constuctive to offer then modify your profile and leave anonymity behind.

At least most of us have the b*lls to show who we are.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Most rods should cast a full line. Its not about features or anything, it's about being able to cast the rod.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast