Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Only One Fly... ??

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Howzit tye,

Long time now see. You still alive?
    sort of !!! they stole my my car over the weekend !!! So I'm going low profile !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    The innuendos really seem to be flying here!

Simple blackfly larvae flies are easy to tie for those that havn't tried. The natural has a small thin body mainly uniform in colour, very drab dark dun/olive/brown or black. It's bottom-heavy, it has a slightly fat butt (here we go again..) and it's slightlt transparent. The natural has a sucke ron the fat end that it hangs of twigs/structure from. On it's head it has a hook-like leg. When it wants to move it often mountaneers as the guys say. It casts a white thread or climbing rope and with the aid of the hook to pull it along and the sucker to hold it in place it inches along. Something like a size 14 standard nymph hook with a couple of turns of very thin lead wire or wine bottle strip at the base, overwound with thin wraps of appropriate floss colour. Overwrap this with this say 2lb Maxima U'green to give translucency. Fly will float 'bottom down' with the head facing downstream (if you're nymphing upstream' like the natural. Some guys paint part of their tippet white to imitate the 'climbing rope' but I must admit I havn't been bothered to try that as yet. Very useful as a general pattern as a point fly with a heavier control before it. We discussed 'similar on Simulidae' some time back on another thread including how the adult bloodthirsty beggars go for blue shirts!
    (Was it Tye who ordered a blue Flytalk shirt for the Vaal? I can't remember offhand!)
    Thank you Chris good break down.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    sort of !!! they stole my my car over the weekend !!! So I'm going low profile !!!!

Geez that sucks man, unbelievable. Let me know if you need any help.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Hi T,

Sorry to hear man.Keep ur head up hey?Don't let these suckers get u down.

G

I've had good success with a dark olive size 14-16 v-rib caddis/BF. Sometimes taking 6-8 fish exclusively.

Buzzers/midges prefer a muddy substrate so one should find them more prevalent in the big pools than the rapids. Winter would be the best time to try a washing line technique in slow flowing pools.

thanks Guys !!

Hey Tye, really sorry to hear that, why does this sh@t alwats happen to the good dudes? Am sure between us Vaalies we can rally round to provide you transport to come fishing with us for some relief..

Sorry to hear that bro - k@k one. If you can make 2 March I'm sure we can sort a lift for you..

bastards...

Default Rory re your query

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    The innuendos really seem to be flying here!

Simple blackfly larvae flies are easy to tie for those that havn't tried. The natural has a small thin body mainly uniform in colour, very drab dark dun/olive/brown or black. It's bottom-heavy, it has a slightly fat butt (here we go again..) and it's slightlt transparent. The natural has a sucke ron the fat end that it hangs of twigs/structure from. On it's head it has a hook-like leg. When it wants to move it often mountaneers as the guys say. It casts a white thread or climbing rope and with the aid of the hook to pull it along and the sucker to hold it in place it inches along. Something like a size 14 standard nymph hook with a couple of turns of very thin lead wire or wine bottle strip at the base, overwound with thin wraps of appropriate floss colour. Overwrap this with this say 2lb Maxima U'green to give translucency. Fly will float 'bottom down' with the head facing downstream (if you're nymphing upstream' like the natural. Some guys paint part of their tippet white to imitate the 'climbing rope' but I must admit I havn't been bothered to try that as yet. Very useful as a general pattern as a point fly with a heavier control before it. We discussed 'similar on Simulidae' some time back on another thread including how the adult bloodthirsty beggars go for blue shirts!
    (Was it Tye who ordered a blue Flytalk shirt for the Vaal? I can't remember offhand!)
    Cheers Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Thank you kind sir!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast