Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Fizzer" Caddis nymph - control fly #8 & #10

Nice pattern!

Def worth trying.
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Guys

STEP EIGHT:
    Now bring the fizzer shell back over the fly, make sure it is nice and even both sides, tie it off and cut the excess.
    Hi
    How come you dont "segment" the fizzer wrap?
    Regards
    Craig

Look at the second post, it goes on
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

Yeah look further down, it goes on. That step eight, the tippet is not wrapped around yet.

I can confirm that fly works - I saw it in action and it's a winner.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hey guys,

I've been doing some thinking. Now, I don't know if this will work but judging by Mr. Horst Filter's love for his Mustard Caddis, I thought I'd try it.

It hit me today at school that the yellow word "fizzer" on the green wrapper should work well as a shellback for a mustard variation. I will only, at best case, get to the Vaal in two or three weeks time, so please tie up some of them, try it on the water, and post the results.

Sadly, you only get about two shellbacks from one wrapper, one from the "f" and one from the "i." One word of advice though, cut into the green above and below the yellow where you tie in the shellback, tie down on the green "stub" to give you more yellow to work with (see photo).

Regards,
    PTN

Nice one! Yes you can, that's the beauty of it. And if anyone in your family drinks Amstel lager (the bottles), the 6-pack's wrapping has some great dark green and light green plastic for use for scud-backs too.

Do you think this will work for Carp???

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    Do you think this will work for Carp???
    Maybe on the odd fluke, but it's not really worth trying. a More effective fly for Carp is the woolly bugger...short red tail, and black body, with bead head.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    STEP NINE:
    Now wind the section of 4X tippet over the fly and the shell-back, in about 9 even turns as well. Tie it off, and trim the excess. This will form your segments. Whip finish.

STEP TEN:
    Your fly is complete. Apply a drop of head cement to your thread area behind the bead, tease out the thorax area to form some legs, and use your black permanent marker to accentuate the black on top of the shell back, above the thorax area.

This fly is a good control fly, sinks fast, and is a good yellowfish taker. You can experiment with different colours, like ginger and dark brown, white and brown, Olive and black, etc. These photos don't do it justice, because up close this fly really sparkles.
    HI Mike,

Great control fly pattern. Will tie some for some mates going for yellows in september.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast