Thread: Small Scale Yellows

Default Small Scale Yellows

Hello There Chaps

A few years back on my mates farm outside of Phalies, we tried to temp the resident Small Scale Yellows into taking a fly in the Olifants river.

That was helluva difficult....not easy fishing whilst keeping one eye on the reeds for mama hippo and the other fixed on the river looking for the local 16' bloody flatdog that might be lurking...

What tactics can work for those Yellows and what flies can one use?

Thanks

Hey Shammers, when we meet up we can give them a go, I've been targetting them in the last few years especially on my little hobby farm which has a few resident in our local streams. Will give you a PM later re tomorrow - fishing may be out of the question but we may be able organise a little meet-up in the arvo

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    A few years back on my mates farm outside of Phalies, we tried to temp the resident Small Scale Yellows into taking a fly in the Olifants river.
    If Phalies is phalaborwa then they are large scales. Does your friend have jackalberry or sycamore figs growing along his stretch of the river? If so suitable fruit immitations fished below the tress are deadly, even though a few people on the site wont fancy that as being "proper" fly fishing!
    Check your knots!

Maybe Figjam can give us an idea of imitations?

PS I think Jocko's right they would be largescales. They also enjoy a dry fly or two and a few simple terrestrial patterns should do the job. I've caught quite a few on my mate's game farm on the lower Komati

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    If Phalies is phalaborwa then they are large scales. Does your friend have jackalberry or sycamore figs growing along his stretch of the river? If so suitable fruit immitations fished below the tress are deadly, even though a few people on the site wont fancy that as being "proper" fly fishing!
    Oh Ok!

Well, plentry Jackleberries and Sycamore figs (with resident Pel's Fishing Owls).

Thanks for that info, wont a person be able to get them on nymphs etc?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    PS I think Jocko's right they would be largescales. They also enjoy a dry fly or two and a few simple terrestrial patterns should do the job. I've caught quite a few on my mate's game farm on the lower Komati
    There is always plenty fish there..in the Winter, the river clears up and you can actually see the buggers sitting behind the rocks etc....but man.....I am "bang" of the flatties in that water...as the old saying goes "...'ere be thar Dragons."