Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Largescales in the Blaauwbankspruit

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Junkie, two venues I can recomend. Brookwood and Bergsig. They open to the public and I've picked up some nice scalies and largies there. Both are good places to get into things.
    "scalies"?? We're far from natal Bru!

DrenalinJunkie...I do not mean to "ignore" guys on here, but when it comes to venues I am different. It's because for the last decade I have spent a SH!T load of time, money and fuel to research new places to fish, water to access and speaking to farmers about getting onto their land. (Often being told to F-off and never to return, as they are sacred on their land...understandable sometimes).
    So when a farmer tells me: "Okay, you can access my land, but ONLY you and whoever is with you, and you CALL me before the time so I know you are going to be here...AND if you EVER start bringing a lot of people here I will chase you off my land and you will never come back!!!" Then...you can understand why I do not tell anyone about it or take anyone there.

Then there are other fly fishers who have taken my to "their" spots and asked me not to tell anyone else about it...so I don't. I was priviledged enough to be taken there, so I do not tell anyone else or take anyone else there.

Then there's public venues...it only takes a short internet search, or some research or phone calls to the town information centres, to find these venues. Then go check it out for yourself. Often you find brilliant water...and there's only two or three other guys there. If I then just blab it out to everyone on here, the next time I go there there are 40 guys there. It's a different story if they put in some effort, found the place themselves and actually went and scouted the places out themselves. Then, by all means...let's fish it!

I remember when places like Eendekuil, Eagle's nest, Yellowfish Paradise, Silverstrome, Eastco, Benjoh, etc were fished only by a handful of guys...sometimes you would be alone on the water...what a pleasure. Steadily more and more people came to know about these places, and now Eagle's Nest looks like Fourways Malls' parking lot on a Saturday morning. This just forces you to go find new water...so understandably, when you find it, you only share it with your closest fishing buddies.

So yeah, there are certain venues I will talk about, and certain venues I will never talk about. Either because I can't, or won't...and for good reason. I am not just being a "selfish %$@(*&%".

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "scalies"?? We're far from natal Bru!

)
    You know what I ment man! Smallscales & Largescales.

I agree with you Michael. I thing most olk have a "secrit" fishing spot they dont want to share with other olks....I have one myself!

The problem with the Blaauwbank is that its not like the Vaal. Its much smaller and delicate! To many people will stuff this stream up!

Thanks for the concern guys. I bought myself a 5wt Horizon rod with Horizon reel with a spare spool for intermediate line, waders, accessory vest, A LOT of flies and a few extra bits and pieces.

I understand about the "secret" spot I probably would do the same. I am fortunate enough to see some places that most people will never see as I do Kayaking as well. We have done a lot of trips on the Vaal, Tugela, Mac Mac, Olifants, Wilge, Fish, Ash, Blyde etc and some of those gorges are stunning and untouched. I am planning on fishing some of those.........

I unfortunately do not get to do it as much as I want to due to work and am therefore looking for some close areas to fish. I need time to just get out and relax and enjoy nature...............

A "Drenalinjunkie" that wants to "relax and enjoy nature" ?

*stifles.a.chuckle*
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    A "Drenalinjunkie" that wants to "relax and enjoy nature" ?

*stifles.a.chuckle*
    Drenalinjunkie

The reason why I use this user name is for a few reasons.
    - My one hunting bow model was a Drenalin, I really liked it so that = Drenalinjunkie
    - Sure I love active sports and the adrenaline rush but I also need to relax and enjoy nature. A lot of time when I go hunting I just sit under a boabab for a few hours and just listen, watch and enjoy nature. That is when I feel the closest to nature and appreciate it most!

Quote Originally Posted by Drenalinjunkie View Post
    Thanks for the concern guys. I bought myself a 5wt Horizon rod with Horizon reel with a spare spool for intermediate line, waders, accessory vest, A LOT of flies and a few extra bits and pieces.

I understand about the "secret" spot I probably would do the same. I am fortunate enough to see some places that most people will never see as I do Kayaking as well. We have done a lot of trips on the Vaal, Tugela, Mac Mac, Olifants, Wilge, Fish, Ash, Blyde etc and some of those gorges are stunning and untouched. I am planning on fishing some of those.........

I unfortunately do not get to do it as much as I want to due to work and am therefore looking for some close areas to fish. I need time to just get out and relax and enjoy nature...............
    Sounds like you need a "shrink"!!!

Unfortunately you cannot kayak the Blaauwbank, unless you want doring or lemmietjies draad, the odd gum pole or some 12GA buck shot in your a$$! Would be great thought, you would be able to see much more like that.

Wasnt saying that I'm going to. I know it is a small sensitive stream so why would I want to???

Why is everyone trying to make me out like a brianless idiot who doesnt give a f*ck about nature and stuffs everything up at the first opportunity?

You people do not know me so therefore do not judge me. I am merely trying to learn to become a better fly fisherman.

I you do not have anything nice to say then please just dont say anything.

Hey big boy, I was merely commenting on the irony of your handle versus that particular statement. I'm sure you can see there was no harm intended.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Drenalinjunkie View Post
    Wasnt saying that I'm going to. I know it is a small sensitive stream so why would I want to???

Why is everyone trying to make me out like a brianless idiot who doesnt give a f*ck about nature and stuffs everything up at the first opportunity?

You people do not know me so therefore do not judge me. I am merely trying to learn to become a better fly fisherman.

I you do not have anything nice to say then please just dont say anything.
    Climb off your soapbox, take the chip off your shoulder blah blah blah. Its a public forum and guys are going to take the piss and pass a few comments everynow and again so deal with it.
    Check your knots!

Scythe,

Appology accepted. Sorry from my side as well. It's not fun being given a hard time from the first post and I appolgise that I lost my temper a bit.

You guys must just remember that you where new to the forum at one stage as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast