Thread: Fly-tying/fishing club in Jhb

Default Fly-tying/fishing club in Jhb

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to know if there's a flytying or flyfishing club that I could tag along to (and join) in order to meet some guys that share this insatiable passion. I would ideally like a forum to share knowledge, and hook up with some you and share petrol/expenses etc on day trips in and around Gauteng. I'm relatively new to flyfishing (when looking at some of the guys on this forum who are a wealth of knowledge). Hope this doesn't sound too forward, but there's no better way of learning than rubbing shoulders with some veterans. I'm no stranger to the Vaal, but I'm very keen to check out the Crocodile/Jukskei/Blaauwbank/Magalies area and further afield. I'm going to the Orange river below Gariep this weekend for a drift and some SM/LM fishing, but when I'm back would love to get some more regular fishing in. I don't work Mondays, so I'm more flexible than most..... :-).

Depending on where in Gangster's Paradise you are, there are quite a few clubs in the area.

Just beware of the Stithians Club run by OMR ( aka Chris Williams ). If you are not already an alcholic you soon will be )
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Gimme a call - 0829033227
    I run the Pretoria Chapter of the Rand Piscatorial Association.
    Our main body is on the East Rand!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

you can check out transvaal flytyers guild they meet at the bryanston sports club on the 3rd monday of the month. 19:00 for 19:30

Yes Riverdawg, try the two above, RPA Pretoria and Transvaal Flytiers Guild, you're also welcome to my club see thread under 'clubs' - we're at Saints opposite Frontier Flyfishing and have our own dam and pub (thanks for the free publicity, Herman!). Our next meeting Thursday week, 27 March
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Default St Stithians

Thanks Chris, I'll try and make it for next Thursday. I've not tied flies before so will you advise me on the basics I need to get me going? Oh, and I'll pack a spare liver just in case.....