Thread: Klod Hopper

Default Klod Hopper

This is a hoper that I saw a picture of on the internet but could,nt find a step by step, so this is my version.

You will notice that I have two photos of when i tied in the hackle. I normaly use to first one, but unfortunately the hackle came off when I started to wind it on, so had to make a plan.

Materials

Hook:#14 grip 14682
    Body: Brown foam
    Tan Dubbing
    Hackle: Bronce cape
    Thread: Brown
    Wing: Deer hair
    Legs: Brown flexi flos(i used a permanent marker to make black stripes)

Steps:

1. Cut a piece of foam about twice the length of the hook and as wide as the gape of the hook.

2. Split the flexifloss into thinner pieces if its to thick. I just use mu dubbing needle to split and pull it apart.

3. Wrap the thread down to the bend and back up again. I then add some head cement to the top of the thread. This prevents the foam from slidding around the hook.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

4.Tie on foam. Notice the overlap on both side of the hook.

5.Tie in the hackle. This is my origanal position before the hackle sliped out

6. Spin a noodle of dubbing and wind around foam. You will need quite a bit of dubbing to cover the foam.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

7. Here I have retied the hackle and just winded it backward instead of forward. This might be better as the tread now also helps to secure the dubbing and the hackle.

8.Bring the tread forward and tie in some deer hair. I tend to overdo the amount of deer hair used, so just used the amount you feel confortable with.Once the deer hair is on fold back the foam at the eye of the hook to cover the deer hair tie in point. I aslo cut the foam to required lentgh before tieing it on the shank. its easier than cutting it after its folded back.

THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

9. Tie in leg material to both sides of the body and trim to rquired lentgh.

10 Trim the tail to lentgh and shape and go fish.

Hope you enjoyed.

Morne
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

That's a pretty neat job you've done there Morne. Well done!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

and look at that....wonderful pics and a stunning fly...and.. ,you whipped our buts yesterday as well. big big improvement in the camera pics. nice.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]