Thread: Vaal River Update

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    Niel ,

were you at EK ?
    Jip was there drifting on my pontoon.

Default Sunday Fishing

Hi Guys, I was on the water for a morning session and was targeting the backwaters that were about chest deep. I hooked 4 yellows between 1 to 2.5 kg within an hour -all were hooked on different flies and was fighting damm hard!! But after that is went quiet... I'm sure the fishing will pickup in the next two weeks? D
    A woman who has never seen her husband fly-fish, doesn't know what a patient man she married!

http://dirkleroux.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Can be highly dependant on the volume of water being released, more water out = higher volume of water to heat up = lower overall temperature.

What have the flows been like the last week or two ?
    Consistently 18 cumecs from what I've seen.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Hi folks, my name is Dave and I’ve been reading the forum for some time, but now that I have something worthwhile to share, I’ve decided to contribute too.

I went to Woelwaters (next door to Arendsnes) on Saturday to open my yellowfish season and blanked. Started fishing a deeper run (3-4ft) below some rapids that produced for me this time last year, caught nothing but rock snot. Tried the other areas, changed flies etc, but nothing. Water temp was 17 degrees.

Got home all grumpy that my season had opened so poorly and did some thinking. I decided that deeper (5ft plus) fast water with no rock snot would be the way forward. Knowing that Sunday’s weather would have no clouds, I went to EK to try the theory. I fished the tailouts of the big pool in front of Tim’s house. Standing on the outcrops fishing the deep water (over 5ft) as it accelerates into the channels, I hooked 14 yellows and landed 10 between 12h00 and 15h30. All fish landed were over 1kg, with two of about 2kg and another of nearly 3kg.

Just before 3pm I hooked into an absolute monster that took my whole fly line and about 35m of backing upstream like lightning. After about 20 minutes of the hardest fight I’ve ever had in the Vaal, it changed plans and took me downstream through the rapids, causing some rapid wading and a couple of inelegant vaal shuffles. The bugger then wrapped me around a rock, but didn’t snap the line. When I reached it, taking the leader in my hand, I saw a smallmouth bigger than I had ever even contemplated, that I estimate weighed at least 5kg’s. The damn fish was longer than my arm! She then dashed off, ripping the leader out my hand, and used the current to drag me into deeper water where I couldn’t wade. Unable to wade further, I applied more pressure, which parted the line (2.7kg maxima), leaving me shaking from excitement and that sick-sweet feeling of a missed monster.

It seems the theory that an average fisherman in the right place far outfishes a quality fisherman in the wrong spot is correct.

The nice thing about fishing the tailout of a big pool is that the fish usually run upstream into the pool, where the is limited current, or rocks to cut you off on. Its also easier to control the fish when you’re standing on rocks out the water, as your extra height above the water improves your angle and keeps more of the line out the water away from drifting hyacinth and rocksnot.

All fish were caught short-line indicator nymphing, using tungsten-beaded hot-spot mustard caddis’s (the expensive ones you get at Frontier and The Fly Shop). My rig was a simple two-fly combo with a heavier circle-hook version on the dropper and a smaller fly on the point. Nothing particularly original about the setup, but at least its effective.

What a good read man...welldone
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi Dave

Nice post, was at Woelwaters last week Tuesday and also had a quiet day hooking only one good fish which came off after 15 min. Water was also unseasonably warm at 17.5C. I agree with you fishing should hot up in the next week or so.

Tight lines!

Paul
    Fisherman - We're all born honest but we soon get over it!

Great first post Dave. I have had the fortune of having that "sick-sweet feeling of a missed monster" too and I can tell you that that is what keeps you coming back. And rest assured everytime you fish EK you will stay a cast or two longer than you normally would, just in case that monster is back
    Lovely read, thanks.

Rob

FlyFanatic Banned User

DAMN!!! Sorry you couldnt land her! But nevertheless, welcome to the forum! If you have some time later on, please feel free to introduce yourself!

That leaves another question.. what do you do when a trophy fish takes you into deep water? Do you stand your ground or do you jump in and swim, risking lost gear or even drowning... but landing that monster.

Personally.. im a pansy.. think i wouldhave done exactly the same mate!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    DAMN!!! Sorry you couldnt land her! But nevertheless, welcome to the forum! If you have some time later on, please feel free to introduce yourself!

That leaves another question.. what do you do when a trophy fish takes you into deep water? Do you stand your ground or do you jump in and swim, risking lost gear or even drowning... but landing that monster.

Personally.. im a pansy.. think i wouldhave done exactly the same mate!
    The SA record rainbow trout was landed after diving into a freezing cold dam to free the line from a weedbed and allow the angler to land the fish. Very few trophy fish come to net without the angler (or his buddies) having swim
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

It takes a braver man than I to try swimming in deep, flowing water wearing waders and wading boots when fishing alone. Mid-summer when fishing without waders would probably be a different story.

Much depends on whether you're in a competitive or a romantic/bunny-hugger/lazy mood, and whether you're friends are egging you on.

Page 135 of 635 FirstFirst ... 3585125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145185235 ... LastLast