Thread: Vaal River Update

crushed crab and smallie belly works betta, sards are too salty

I was going to suggest to chum with something else but I'll keep my party tricks to myself...

oh come on pray tell, apparently a mixture of a skinned rabbit, pieces of deer, some tungsten and some fur can do the trick too, but only with the rats dont seem to work with the grandparents :biggrin:

The smallies are still biting, caught this fattie this afternoon after sneaking away from work. It was the biggest of the four I caught.

DSCN0773 (Large).jpg

Now if I could just stop blanking on the largie outings.

Oh and the viz seemed worse than the weekend - its strange as I expected it to improve. But its maybe just my imagination.

Fished GVP last Sunday. Air temp was 2 deg and water temp at 7:30 13. The mist was still lying thick so I rowed up blind. After a few mishaps ( spooking fish, and finding myself 50 meters off course I finally settled at my favourite possie. Tied on my favourite white thingy and cast into the mist. 3 casts later my first SM on dry for the winter. A good fish of around 3 kg. Got the second about 30 minutes later , smaller nut still in great nick. After 9:30 dry went dead, and the frontal clouds came over with the breeze changing direction and becoming a wind. Home time.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Fished GVP last Sunday. Air temp was 2 deg and water temp at 7:30 13. The mist was still lying thick so I rowed up blind. After a few mishaps ( spooking fish, and finding myself 50 meters off course I finally settled at my favourite possie. Tied on my favourite white thingy and cast into the mist. 3 casts later my first SM on dry for the winter. A good fish of around 3 kg. Got the second about 30 minutes later , smaller nut still in great nick. After 9:30 dry went dead, and the frontal clouds came over with the breeze changing direction and becoming a wind. Home time.
    When I got your pic, I would have killed for that ! Had a proper kuier on the Saturday ! Lol
    Glad you got some fish Herman !

Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    When I got your pic, I would have killed for that ! Had a proper kuier on the Saturday ! Lol
    Glad you got some fish Herman !
    Thanks Homes. Glad I managed to open my winter account. Also have another trick I want to try this weekend .
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Great going Herman, we should try to meet up somewhere during the winter, would be nice to put a face with the name.

Tiaan

I took this pic of the Hermanator last time we fished...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 535 of 635 FirstFirst ... 35435485525526527528529530531532533534535536537538539540541542543544545585 ... LastLast