Thread: Vaal River Update

Hierdie PTN jig is soos die Largie Toad van LM flies! :wink:

IMG_7788.jpg

I buy the Sci Flies or something in that line. A fly will only last a few fish, and it has happened where a small fish pulled a hook open. Not really spoiled for choice here in PTA.

For me a PTN style hotspot and a green or mustard caddis is nearly unbeatable when nymphing. The big determining factor is whether you are fishing them at the right depth and whether you are actually detecting the takes (more than the exact details of the fly). I could probably nymph the vaal with exclusively different weight PTNs and different size and weight caddis flies. If you pick up the rocks you will see why, the vaal is so full of caddis larvae and mayflies its amazing.

Long ago when I still fished leader to hand in the rapids the game changer was heavy slim flies that get to the bottom fast. If you buy sciflies add splitshot if you are fishing fast or deep water. I have fished a spot with no success, put a piece of splitshot on and then took out fish after fish because the flies are now getting down into the feeding zone. Late afternoon the reverse is many times true where the fish are feeding higher up and you need to go to lighter flies.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Hierdie PTN jig is soos die Largie Toad van LM flies! :wink:

IMG_7788.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    For me a PTN style hotspot and a green or mustard caddis is nearly unbeatable when nymphing. The big determining factor is whether you are fishing them at the right depth and whether you are actually detecting the takes (more than the exact details of the fly). I could probably nymph the vaal with exclusively different weight PTNs and different size and weight caddis flies. If you pick up the rocks you will see why, the vaal is so full of caddis larvae and mayflies its amazing.

Long ago when I still fished leader to hand in the rapids the game changer was heavy slim flies that get to the bottom fast. If you buy sciflies add splitshot if you are fishing fast or deep water. I have fished a spot with no success, put a piece of splitshot on and then took out fish after fish because the flies are now getting down into the feeding zone. Late afternoon the reverse is many times true where the fish are feeding higher up and you need to go to lighter flies.
    This!

Walt.jpg

If you want to try something suggested by a Capie...... Try this simple version of a Walt's Worm in a #16. It's deadly on the Vaal and takes a full thirty seconds to tie :-)

GRHE, mustard caddis, crystal caddis, yellow caddis and Ptn hotspot just few that has taken many fish. A friend and I fished one day, he caught 80 yellows on a Ptn hotspot and me just 8 on another type fly. Last season I fished the afternoon for 2 hours and nothing. Than changed to a GRHE and on the first cast a fish and couple more later to.

i have tried and fished this from time to time, it sounds nuts but for the fun of it just tie the bead on the hook (no dressing), you'll be surprised with the out come.

Thank you for all your inputs, will help a lot will tie a few of that flies and try them, not a big fan of the chezh style, fish New Zealand style more in glides and slow moving water that is 300 - 900 mm deep, also like the circle hook flies, think my depth is right flies bouncing on the rocks, think I might use too much weight on the control fly.
    Another thing that I might do wrong is the size of the flies, normaly use a size 10-12 control fly and then a size 12-14 point fly, see many guys use size 16...and even size 18.

by default I use split shot and only Czech nymphing. Anything with Orange and a fluffy brown works for me. I have not really tried any other flies other than orange hot spots, grhe, mustard caddis. Also ensure that your split shot is at least 4cm away from your control fly. Just what I have learned. I also do not use tippets, just a 3.3kg - 4.4kg mono clear line tied directly to the fly line. I do use a small strike indicator and will probably strike at least 20 times before I get a fish. I strike at any deviation

In Parys nogsteeds hoog en vuil!

IMG_7799.jpg

Page 620 of 635 FirstFirst ... 120520570610611612613614615616617618619620621622623624625626627628629630 ... LastLast