Page 497 of 635 FirstFirst ... 397 447 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 547 597 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 6346

Thread: Vaal River Update

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    Doesn't seem that big the way you holding it, however you look like a tall guy?
    yeah im quite a large lad, 6.3ft and 110kgs! maybe these photos will do the fish justice? P2130216.jpgP2130218.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    holy sh*t, that's a nice river carp. I'll give you 10kgs on that ... must have bee a good rev!
    thanks! was awesome, you can imagine my surprise when i saw it for the first time!!! then reality set in and all i could think about was how the .... am I going to net this fish.... hahaha

Hi guys,

with the spawning season on us, would someone be willing to share some photos on what types of water to avoid? Some of my mates have never fished in the spawn before. And I reckon it's better to educate them before they enter the water.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Pershond View Post
    Hi guys,

with the spawning season on us, would someone be willing to share some photos on what types of water to avoid? Some of my mates have never fished in the spawn before. And I reckon it's better to educate them before they enter the water.

P

Hi see here http://urban-fly-fisher.com/wp-conte...Final-Edit.pdf

I had a morning session at Nebo today. Didn't go that well, just one small juvenile yellow and a couple of fouls. I think part user error, part approaching cold front, part algae all contributed, and the water clarity was really off.

Anyway, I lost focus pretty early on...

It's always hard to tell when you fish alone if it's just you that suck (most probable) or if the fish are actually off the bite.

On my way home there were two laaities walking with what was the biggest muddy I have seen in my life, walking back from the tuck shop. I stopped after passing them as for a moment I thought it was a largie and wanted to give them a piece of my mind. In hindsight I should have quickly weighed it. It was HUGE. What's the record for muddy?
    Last edited by BenzoV; 27-09-13 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post

I know it is terrible to keep focus if the young bank angler ladies, change into their summer clothes in front of you...

Biggest muddy I have landed was 2.8kg and it was huge

Today was a great day on the vaal didn't think it was going to be with the weather we had the past few days. But between 3 of us we landed 26 yellows between 1kg and 4.5kg, 4 muddies the biggest was 2.5kg and 1 catfish.

Fished Schoemansdrift for three hours on Heritage Day. Fished for 2 hours with no luck. Before I fished I had checked the insect life under the rocks. Plenty of quite large green caddis. Still pushed on to fish a hot spot nymph. Switched to a small green caddis with a hotspot. Bam fish on in two successive casts. Just shows ALWAYS check what is happening under the rocks....SUNP0012.jpgSUNP0011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I had a morning session at Nebo today. Didn't go that well, just one small juvenile yellow and a couple of fouls. I think part user error, part approaching cold front, part algae all contributed, and the water clarity was really off.

It's always hard to tell when you fish alone if it's just you that suck (most probable) or if the fish are actually off the bite.

On my way home there were two laaities walking with what was the biggest muddy I have seen in my life, walking back from the tuck shop. I stopped after passing them as for a moment I thought it was a largie and wanted to give them a piece of my mind. In hindsight I should have quickly weighed it. It was HUGE. What's the record for muddy?
    Hi Ben,

Muddies do not grow as big as smallies, but there are some pigs in the Vaal! Largest I have caught was 3.5kg's, I have heard of 4kg muddies, not much larger. The record as far as I know is 3.83kg by a guy called J.Grobler. They dont become very much longer than 500mm, they just increase in girth & have shoulders like a wrestler! I absolutely love catching them, they put up much harder fights than yellows.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Hi Ben,

Muddies do not grow as big as smallies, but there are some pigs in the Vaal! Largest I have caught was 3.5kg's, I have heard of 4kg muddies, not much larger. The record as far as I know is 3.83kg by a guy called J.Grobler. They dont become very much longer than 500mm, they just increase in girth & have shoulders like a wrestler! I absolutely love catching them, they put up much harder fights than yellows.
    Yup. All the big ones are female. SA record is the 3.83kg listed above. Proof of 4kg mudfish is another matter - they fight so hard that most guys overestimate their weight -yellows too :-)
    My largest is also a 3.5kg - weighed in my McLean net. Think of a rugby ball with fins.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

I caught a muddy that I was sure was almost 4kg turned out it was 2.8kg

Page 497 of 635 FirstFirst ... 397 447 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 547 597 ... LastLast