Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Working group for yellows - Cape chapter

Thanks to the awesome power of Flytalk, without which, I dont think this would ever have gotten off the ground. Was great to have Pierre and Philip there too. Thanks for your support guys.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Thanks to the awesome power of Flytalk, without which, I dont think this would ever have gotten off the ground. Was great to have Pierre and Philip there too. Thanks for your support guys.
    Hi Chris, your welcome, it’s really great for us as individuals and FlyTalk to get involved in this. We bring all our recourses to the table to see the success of this and with the hope to be the electronic mouth peace for this group. It was a treat listening to Dean and Pierre from CNC and I personally can’t wait for our next meeting. I will start to implement this into the main site to give it maximum exposure to all members. Chris is there a logo for this group? I'd like some content for this section. Maybe have an article on the threat currently posed to the Clainwilliam Yellowfish. The objectives of the group, maybe a small mission statement and an outline of our first meeting. I can kick my butt for not taking the camera with last night for a group photo. I believe last night was an historic moment in the future survival of this species. We'll take loads of photos on the next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Chris, your welcome, it’s really great for us as individuals and FlyTalk to get involved in this. We bring all our recourses to the table to see the success of this and with the hope to be the electronic mouth peace for this group. It was a treat listening to Dean and Pierre from CNC and I personally can’t wait for our next meeting. I will start to implement this into the main site to give it maximum exposure to all members. Chris is there a logo for this group? I'd like some content for this section. Maybe have an article on the threat currently posed to the Clainwilliam Yellowfish. The objectives of the group, maybe a small mission statement and an outline of our first meeting. I can kick my butt for not taking the camera with last night for a group photo. I believe last night was an historic moment in the future survival of this species. We'll take loads of photos on the next trip.
    At this stage we have very little in place Pierre, other than a few very willing and passionate anglers who I feel are going to make a difference. I think we should put our heads together and come up with a suitable mission statement. What we dont want is for people to get the impression that we are an elitist little band of fishermen who are up CNC's backside for personal favours. This is also not and never will be a private club, in fact, the word 'club' will never feature in any future correspondance. We are simply a bunch of likeminded anglers with one common goal, and that is to work together towards promoting awareness among farmers and the general public about the plight of the Clanwilliam Yellow. Sawfins and Witvis will with time receive the same attention. We will embark upon field trips to highly sensitive areas that have already been identified by CNC and will do our best to preserve these areas and remove any foreign influences that could negatively affect the existing remaining populations of these highly endangered fish. We will furthermore work together in identifying suitable stillwaters that are devoid of alien species and stock them with juvenile yellows. This is the starting point for the creation of sustainable resources, which will ultimately be enjoyed by future generations of fly fishermen for many years to come.

If any of the creative guys among you have any ideas regarding a suitable name and logo for the working group, please feel free to share them.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    If any of the creative guys among you have any ideas regarding a suitable name and logo for the working group, please feel free to share them.
    Hi chris

Meeting was a great success. Lots still to be done.

I think a suitable name would be "yellowfish working group" and possibly include Western Cape in the name so WCYFWG?

Maybe a bit of a mouthful?

There are some shirts at the CPS offices and maybe that print could be included in the design?

Thanks for setting it all up!

Regards
    Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Just some feedback for the rest of you. Most of the groups correspondence is being conducted privately on google mail, so in the interest of growing the membership and interest in the working group for yellows further, I thought I would mention the following.

Having concluded our first meeting, which was very well supported and attended (thanks again guys), we are now in the throws of organizing our first field trip. This will be a weekend trip to Beaverlac where we will fish for and net juvenile yellows for stocking into stillwaters within the conservancy. Dean Impson will also be conducting a powerpoint presentation at this outing. We plan to do this within the next few weeks and I am just waiting for the rest of the groups approval with regards to the proposed date of the 9th to the 11th of February.

If any of you guys are keen to participate in this working group outing, then please email me at chris@pprint.co.za

Please bear in mind, this will be a working group activity, and as such is open to anyone with an active interest in being part of the working group.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 28-01-07 at 03:03 PM.

Hi Guys

Everyone seems very quiet. Just like an update on the coming weekend at Beaverlac. Any special requirements ? Are we fishing the Ratel exclusively or the Olifants aswell ?

Cheers

Hau
    I've never spotted any yellows in the Ratel (higher up up till about halfway down to the Olifants from Grootfontein) Only the redfin minnows which will definitely savage a fly but for this a #00 would be required due to the ferocity of these beasts.
    I thought the Western Cape YFWG has gone to sleep after joining in an outing some years ago but it's obviously alive in the underground - well done.
    Are the guys meeting at Beaverlac this coming weekend? in which case I am definitely keen - I love that part of the world.
    have a good monday!
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by will101 View Post
    Hau
    I've never spotted any yellows in the Ratel (higher up up till about halfway down to the Olifants from Grootfontein) Only the redfin minnows which will definitely savage a fly but for this a #00 would be required due to the ferocity of these beasts.
    I thought the Western Cape YFWG has gone to sleep after joining in an outing some years ago but it's obviously alive in the underground - well done.
    Are the guys meeting at Beaverlac this coming weekend? in which case I am definitely keen - I love that part of the world.
    have a good monday!
    Willie
    Hi Willie

On our last meeting Dean pointed out that the yellows are separated from the bass infested waters by a small waterfall. We are planning on netting the upper reaches and stocking three private dams in the area with. You are more than welcome to join us for the weekend. Its going to be great, educational and get some good fishing in. If not the Ratel then the Olifants.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

Everyone seems very quiet. Just like an update on the coming weekend at Beaverlac. Any special requirements ? Are we fishing the Ratel exclusively or the Olifants aswell ?

Cheers
    I think a little sortie to the Olifants is definitely possible Pierre. It is only 5km away and with Dean's influence you may be allowed to take a vehicle down there. Personally I won't be fishing this weekend, but I will be partaking in the snorkeling, netting and stocking activities.

Why would you want to take a vehicle on such a lovely hike? :-) I'm opting for some serious salt action this weekend while the action is still on. You'll have fun I'm sure. How far has anyone hiked upstream with the Olifants from the "lang gat"?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast