Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Working group for yellows - Cape chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    two pics from Dean of the witvis stocking into the headwaters of the new Berg Dam. I'm amazed how far the water has reached already. Those of you who know the area will agree I'm sure

Attachment 1363

Attachment 1364

The dam will be opened to recreational angling later on (hopefully by next Spring/Summer). Fishing should be amazing from next Spring onwards. Expect some big rainbows as the fish mature in the dam to 3kg plus. Expect trophy whitefish (>2kg) in 3-5 years time.

Attached are 2 pics of the operation. The whitefish looks small, but Brandvlei fish mature early because of the high densities of whitefish there.

Cheers
    Dean
    GREAT meeting you today Chris, shame it was too short and timewise didn't permit your visiting our pub/dam. Hope your business presentation went off well. Suffice to say amongst the eloquent flyfishing theories being expounded, I left my Coq de Leons at home so to speak. Will arrange to mail them. Now I'm an official courier company I will arrange Wiet's stuff as well (Gee, Wiets, excellent stuff!). NymphO, don't get all excited, it's only flyfishing gear, you can't smoke it..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    two pics from Dean of the witvis stocking into the headwaters of the new Berg Dam. I'm amazed how far the water has reached already. Those of you who know the area will agree I'm sure

Attachment 1363

Attachment 1364

The dam will be opened to recreational angling later on (hopefully by next Spring/Summer). Fishing should be amazing from next Spring onwards. Expect some big rainbows as the fish mature in the dam to 3kg plus. Expect trophy whitefish (>2kg) in 3-5 years time.

Attached are 2 pics of the operation. The whitefish looks small, but Brandvlei fish mature early because of the high densities of whitefish there.

Cheers
    Dean
    phew i really hope those whitefish mature quick beause in the 4 years we've been fishing that dam, we have to bring special small gauge nets as they are so small. so in my opinion they look small, because they are....
    in fact, if my wife was'nt sleeping right now, i'd ask her as i think she caught a club record witfis....
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    GREAT meeting you today Chris, shame it was too short and timewise didn't permit your visiting our pub/dam. Hope your business presentation went off well. Suffice to say amongst the eloquent flyfishing theories being expounded, I left my Coq de Leons at home so to speak. Will arrange to mail them. Now I'm an official courier company I will arrange Wiet's stuff as well (Gee, Wiets, excellent stuff!). NymphO, don't get all excited, it's only flyfishing gear, you can't smoke it..
    Thanks for taking the time off to meet me Chris, I really appreciate that! Was really great to put a face to the name at last. I must say, I was expecting a well rounded balding fellow for some strange reason ( I think your very first avatar, the cartoon of the old guy sitting at his vice gave me that impression), so I was quite taken aback to see a tall lean Fario type

Was great bumping into Andre Steenkamp aswell. I really enjoyed the bit of piscatorial chat between the 3 of us. We must encourage him to join the Flytalk forum. I really like his style, knowledgeable beyond his years and extremely humble. What a super guy.............and superb fly fisherman!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yeah thanks Chris, ditto in Rispek! I enjoyed your insight also Andre's input - all Good Stuff!

Cheers!

Default Minutes of WCYWG meeting

Key issues discussed at a meeting of the Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group, held at the offices of the CPS on 28 November 2007
    Present: Dean Impson, Chris Shelton, Liam Surridge, Sean Marr, Philip Hills, Izak Kruger
    The meeting started at 18H30 and concluded at 21h00
    1. Election of chairman: Liam Surridge proposed Dean Impson as chairman and was seconded by Chris Shelton. Dean to chair for 12 months after which time there will be a re-election.
    2. Suggested Vision of the WC YWG: The Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group would like to achieve tangible improvements in the conservation status and awareness of the three indigenous yellowfish species to the province.
    3. Suggested Mission of the WC YWG: The Western Cape Yellowfish Working Group, through substantially increased membership and participation; as well as land-owner and corporate involvement and support, will secure improved riparian, instream and stillwater habitat management of yellowfish waters and sustainable and productive angling for the three indigenous yellowfish species.
    4. Suggested Key Objectivesof the WC YWG:
    - To substantially increase membership at an affordable annual subscription
    - Identify, secure and stock waters for members
    - Identify, secure and stock waters as yellowfish sanctuaries
    - Buy-in and support from other angling groups (artlure and bait anglers)
    - Using media to educate stakeholders about the value of our yellowfishes
    - Identify projects that will improve conservation, awareness and utilization of yellowfishes
    - Secure a viable funding base to achieve our objectives
    - Increasing our knowledge of distribution, conservation status, biology and ecology of the three species
    - Identify and secure priority yellowfish waters for conservation purposes
    - Market the indigenous yellowfish brand to the benefit of the fishes and users
    5. National Yellowfish Conference – the Western Cape will be hosting the national conference at Jonkershoek on the weekend of 14-16 March, during which 14 March (Friday) will involve a field trip to the Hex River to see Berg-Breede whitefish followed by the conference on 15 March. The morning of 16 March will be devoted to a workshop to identify measures to improve the conservation of local yellowfishes. Dean Impson requested that members think of presentations they could give at the conference as well as identifying possible sponsors to assist with covering some of the costs of holding the conference.
    6. The following Awareness days were proposed (we will try and undertake at least 4 of these before May 2008):
    - Hex River - whitefish
    - Ratels – sawfin, Clanwilliams, stocking of local dams
    - Driehoeks – sawfin, whitefish, stocking of local dams
    - Bushmanskloof – sawfin, whitefish
    - Berg River dam and upper Berg River – stocking whitefish, Berg River redfin, Cape kurper
    7. Stocking the Berg River Dam – Dean Impson explained why 50 adult whitefish had been stocked into the dam so far using Brandvlei dam stock, and why the river above the dam, especially above the new weir, is regarded as an indigenous fish sanctuary. Dean asked members to assist where possible in getting a lot more whitefish into the dam over the next 12 months. The best method of achieving this would be to work closely with angling clubs that fish Brandvlei Dam.
    8. The meeting concluded with a request to Dean Impson to identify dates for meetings for 2008. The following dates are suggested: 24 January, 21 February, 24 April, 21 August and 23 October. Meetings will start at 18H30 sharp and will take place in the CPS club room. Dean Impson asked CPS members present to thank the CPS for kindly making their club room available for the meeting.
    9. The next meeting of the WC YWG will thus be on 24 January and the key items for discussion will be further deliberation, clarification and agreement on points 2-8 above. The members agreed that our workload needed to be shared out with task leaders identified at the next meeting that will take responsibility for various actions (stockings, fund raising, awareness days etc)
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 04-12-07 at 01:28 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hey guys any new news on this subject?

I am keen to give a hand where i can
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Rumour has it there is conference this weekend?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Yes, the Yellowfish conference is this weekend coming. I personally cannot be there, but please support this event if you can guys. It would be great if a couple of the guys from the Yellowfish Working Group could at least attend one or two sessions.

Chris

As far as I know, the event is not an open event. There is a limit of forty spaces and about two weeks ago there were only four places available. Kevin is doing a talk on Saturday as representative of the WC chapter. I will be there as a guest on Friday evening (tackle & techniques fer WC Yellowfish species) and as representative of the CPS on the Saturday (CPS' attitude towards indigenous species).

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Chris

As far as I know, the event is not an open event. There is a limit of forty spaces and about two weeks ago there were only four places available. Kevin is doing a talk on Saturday as representative of the WC chapter. I will be there as a guest on Friday evening (tackle & techniques fer WC Yellowfish species) and as representative of the CPS on the Saturday (CPS' attitude towards indigenous species).

Cheers
    MC
    Excellent, thanks MC! Dean phoned me yesterday and said that he was a bit disappointed by the amount of interest displayed by the Yellowfish working group on the whole and would have like to have seen a few more of the guys attending.

Anyway, have a good one. Hope your talk goes off well

Regards
    Chris

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast