Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Working group for yellows - Cape chapter

This is a voluntary group is it not and you are already giving of your time and resources now you must pay a membership fee?No problem paying for a copy of the report if I want one but I don't think a membership fee is appropriate and what is it for anyway?

I agree Arthur, we haven't yet been told what the money is for and how it will be administered. I am sure there are answers to this,but until we get them, my advice is keep the wallet closed.

Andre it looks as if Dean will go to any length to get people to club some buck together to buy some Rotenone

Hi guys

Sorry I have been so quiet of late; been overseas to USA and Croatia and other-wise have spent a lot of my time getting our national yellowfish technical report ready for publishing.

We talked at the CPS AGM (where I made myself very unpopular!)about some of our goals for the next 6 months; one of which is to stock the Berg River dam as heavily as possible with whitefish. I received a call late last week from Francois Claasen , Protea artlure angler, that he was available tomorrow (Wednesday) to catch fish in Brandvlei to move into the Berg River dam. We will use a big seine net for this. Any help from you guys will be great. I apologise for the late notification – tomorrow is not a once off – it is the start of a process over the next 4 weeks to get as many whitefish into the Berg River dam. Phone me if you can help (082 4140020). We meet at the dam at 10h00; you will need to cover your own costs to get there. It is a great opportunity if you can make it to catch fish by seine, stock the Berg River dam with fish and also see the rising waters of the new dam.

As mentioned we will do more relocations later this month.

Very good news – I spoke to Bertrand van Zyl of DWAF about Lakensvlei and the water transfer to the upper Doring – this transfer takes place from a stream well above Lakensvlei – so Lakensvlei can be safely stocked with whitefish this summer. The CPS can proceed with getting a stocking permit for them from us.

Regards
    Dean
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Why was he unpopular about stocking the dam with whitefish ?

Some of the older folk did not fancy whitefish taking over the trout habitat of "one of South Africa's best trout still waters".

The elderly gentleman then went on to deny the predatorial instinct of trout, mentioning that he always checks the stomach content of all the trout he catches and he has never found any fry, which therefore proves his argument, that the trout will not eat the whitefish, but the whitefish will in fact contribute to the deminishing of trout in the dam...or something to that effect
    Last edited by Rendier; 16-10-07 at 05:01 PM. Reason: sp
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi guys

Sorry I have been so quiet of late; been overseas to USA and Croatia and other-wise have spent a lot of my time getting our national yellowfish technical report ready for publishing.

We talked at the CPS AGM (where I made myself very unpopular!)about some of our goals for the next 6 months; one of which is to stock the Berg River dam as heavily as possible with whitefish. I received a call late last week from Francois Claasen , Protea artlure angler, that he was available tomorrow (Wednesday) to catch fish in Brandvlei to move into the Berg River dam. We will use a big seine net for this. Any help from you guys will be great. I apologise for the late notification – tomorrow is not a once off – it is the start of a process over the next 4 weeks to get as many whitefish into the Berg River dam. Phone me if you can help (082 4140020). We meet at the dam at 10h00; you will need to cover your own costs to get there. It is a great opportunity if you can make it to catch fish by seine, stock the Berg River dam with fish and also see the rising waters of the new dam.

As mentioned we will do more relocations later this month.

Very good news – I spoke to Bertrand van Zyl of DWAF about Lakensvlei and the water transfer to the upper Doring – this transfer takes place from a stream well above Lakensvlei – so Lakensvlei can be safely stocked with whitefish this summer. The CPS can proceed with getting a stocking permit for them from us.

Regards
    Dean
    chris, my wife's club fish there often and they catch a load of whitefish everytime. They fish in the Brandvlei prison grounds. Her club also fishes there in the WP freshwater angling league. They (40+) anglers usually fish two weekends in a row and i'm sure they can be of help to you. they use special keep nets for the fish as they are always small
    and they have strict rules as per size etc. give me a shout and i'm sure she could get them to help big time.
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    chris, my wife's club fish there often and they catch a load of whitefish everytime. They fish in the Brandvlei prison grounds. Her club also fishes there in the WP freshwater angling league. They (40+) anglers usually fish two weekends in a row and i'm sure they can be of help to you. they use special keep nets for the fish as they are always small
    and they have strict rules as per size etc. give me a shout and i'm sure she could get them to help big time.
    cheers
    Thanks very much Roland, I'll pass your generous offer of help onto Dean.

Regards
    Chris
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Some of the older folk did not fancy whitefish taking over the trout habitat of "one of South Africa's best trout still waters".

The elderly gentleman then went on to deny the predatorial instinct of trout, mentioning that he always checks the stomach content of all the trout he catches and he has never found any fry, which therefore proves his argument, that the trout will not eat the whitefish, but the whitefish will in fact contribute to the deminishing of trout in the dam...or something to that effect
    Bulllsh*@%t! Liam will be my witness to this. I have found fry in trout at Lakies! That morning I caught a nice hen at the main intake and then Liam showed me the correct way to gut and clean it for lunch later. We checked the stomach and found one fry and a lot of green coloured nymphs. The Fry was about 3cm long. This is what the fish looked like and it really made my arm burn to land this biatch!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Bulllsh*@%t! Liam will be my witness to this. I have found fry in trout at Lakies! That morning I caught a nice hen at the main intake and then Liam showed me the correct way to gut and clean it for lunch later. We checked the stomach and found one fry and a lot of green coloured nymphs. The Fry was about 3cm long. This is what the fish looked like and it really made my arm burn to land this biatch!
    I agree with you Chris, they will definitely not pass up a lovely juicy minnow. The last trout I gutted had a huge frog in it's stomach

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast