Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120

Thread: Working group for yellows - Cape chapter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,467

    Exclamation Working group for yellows - Cape chapter

    Dean Impson has expressed his interest in getting a working group for yellows up and running. I think this is a brilliant idea. If any of you are interested in joining, please email your details to me and I will forward them onto Dean. My email is chris@pprint.co.za
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 22-05-07 at 03:40 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Hi Chris

    I have forward my detail to you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    6,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Dean Impson has expressed his interest in getting a working group for yellows up and running. I think this is a brilliant idea. If any of you are interested in joining, please email your details to me and I will forward them onto Dean. My email is chris@pprint.co.za
    Chris, this is indeed very exciting news. Please keep us informed of the developements.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Chris, this is indeed very exciting news. Please keep us informed of the developements.
    Will do Herman, thanks! We have received a very good response so far. I am thrilled!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Hi Chris,

    Could you possibly give us more detail on what the working group entails? What is the vision, short and longterm goals?

    Cheers,

    Philip

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Chris,

    Could you possibly give us more detail on what the working group entails? What is the vision, short and longterm goals?

    Cheers,

    Philip
    Hi Philip

    Dean will answer all the questions at the inaugural meeting in early January, but in the meantime, what we are looking for are a bunch of likeminded guys who have the best interests of our indigenous Yellowfish at heart.

    This will not be a fishing club as such but a working group. What we will be needing are committed individuals who will be able to contribute of their individual skills, whatever that may be, and their quality time, however frequently or infrequently that may be, to the benefit of the group and ultimately to the benefit of our Yellowfish. There is much work to be done, and the bottom line is that Cape Nature Conservation do not have the staff, or funding to see all their projects through. They need our support and help. As you are all no doubt aware, the Clanwilliam Yellow and the Witvis are both critically endangered species, and they need our protection. The field is wide but and the helpers are few. We need to rally together anough people to take on whatever tasks are required to ensure that what we still have stays protected and we need to do whatever we can to help sustain and improve the existing habitats where these fish still reside.

    We need to stand together and do whatever is necessary to protect our Yellows and this alone is a multi-faceted task. It will involve education, stream management, law enforcement, breeding programs, stocking of dams and rivers, re-introduction into rivers where they no longer exist and much much more.

    The long term goal is a tall order by any standards, but it can only be to restore the populations in certain streams and rivers to their former glory. At the same time, we need to create a public awareness of the value that these fish have, from an environmental point of view, because they are so uniquely ours, and also as a recreational resource. Simply put, they could provide excellent sport for anglers for centuries to come, but this will certainly not happen at the present rate of decline if we don't step in now and do what we can to help change this sad state of affairs.

    If anyone of you feel the calling, please feel free to join us. There will be a membership fee of R200, which will form part of a kitty to be used towards the conservation of the species. The membership fee is also there to serve as a deterrent to people who are not committed to the cause.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Chaps- this is really an exciting opportunity and something that is long overdue in the Cape. It's a privilege to be involved in conserving our yellows. This is what I love about our sport/ passion- it goes deeper than merely catching fish. It gives us an opportunity to all work together/ pool our resources to protect something that desperately needs our assistance. I believe that this is where we are going to leave our marks and our legacies...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Chaps- this is really an exciting opportunity and something that is long overdue in the Cape. It's a privilege to be involved in conserving our yellows. This is what I love about our sport/ passion- it goes deeper than merely catching fish. It gives us an opportunity to all work together/ pool our resources to protect something that desperately needs our assistance. I believe that this is where we are going to leave our marks and our legacies...
    Chris&Kevin...great to hear the news. Hope you guys do great things down there. I really want to go down there one day and fish for all three species. And what you guys do now...will echo in eternity for future generations.
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Chris&Kevin...great to hear the news. Hope you guys do great things down there. I really want to go down there one day and fish for all three species. And what you guys do now...will echo in eternity for future generations.
    Thanks Barbus, I am just glad to be part of the process of protecting and restoring healthy populations of these awesome fish. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to see these fish thriving again for future generations to enjoy. They are with out a doubt worthy opponents on flyfishing tackle.

    Incidentally, the working group membership will not be restricted. The more members we get, the lighter will be the load and the more impact we will be able to make out there. I would encourage all you who have an interest in these fish to join the group.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Thanks Barbus, I am just glad to be part of the process of protecting and restoring healthy populations of these awesome fish. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to see these fish thriving again for future generations to enjoy. They are with out a doubt worthy opponents on flyfishing tackle.

    Incidentally, the working group membership will not be restricted. The more members we get, the lighter will be the load and the more impact we will be able to make out there. I would encourage all you who have an interest in these fish to join the group.
    Ok, private me with the details and I'll see what I can do. They gonna take me up here 1000km far from the action? What can I do?
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •