Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MSP Fly -Tying Instructions (for Largemouth Yellowfish)

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Do you guys reckon I should tie some of these up to try for Tigers, Nembwe, and the various bream species in the Kavango?
    I've been catching big kurper on stock standard SW Clousers, so why not (granted, they are small, no more than 5cm in length) The MSP is a good baitfish imitation and when tied with a bit of flash will make for a nice shiny irritant that Nembwe/Vundu/Tilapia will love. Same thing applies to the Tigers in my book.

That zonker imparts a helluva lot of movement, think about the number of predatory fish that are taken on zonker type patterns. Barbel, Kurper, Skipjack, Kingfish, Leerfish, Shad, LargeMouth & SmallMouth YellowFish, Bass, Troot, Salmon ... dot dot dot ...
    Last edited by Scythe; 07-04-08 at 09:31 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The MSP is a good baitfish imitation and when tied with a bit of flash will make for a nice shiny irritant that Nembwe/Vundu/Tilapia will love.
    Take good pics of any vundu you catch above vic falls... Pretty sure they are restrcicted to the lower zambezi and its tributaries?
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Take good pics of any vundu you catch above vic falls... Pretty sure they are restrcicted to the lower zambezi and its tributaries?
    You've seen barbel walking over land in search of water right ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Igme,

Looks like Mike's not responding to your question. Maybe you should request assistance regarding this matter from the guys that helped me with my problems.

Come, you yellowfish boffins, help the man out.

I think Igme means that he wants to also know what clothing and footwear he should have.
    Last edited by poppernel; 07-04-08 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Igme' View Post
    Hi Mike what will U say is the best way to fish the MSP fly,line type, leader and tippet setup,do u fish this fly alone.I am making my first trip to the Vaal midd April and i still kneed to learn a lot on Yellows even how to dress up is a m&$%se headache
    Hi Igme

Sorry only saw your post now...sometimes there's to much to follow on here!

You will need a 7wt rod at least, and a floating WF7F line, and an Intermediate 7wt line. The floating line you use in shallower pools (2 metres and less) and the intermediate you use when you have real deep water). If your budget is tight, just go for the floating line.

Leader...9foot tapered leader, tapered to maybe 12lbs. Then a 2X piece of tippet, maybe 40cm long, and then attach the fly. Fish it alone...if you do hook up a largemouth (or big smallmouth) the last thing you want is the other fly getting snagged up around structure, etc.

Stay away from the rapids and shallow glides. Concentrate your efforts on deeper slow glides and pools. Find structure, a rocky substrate, some deep drop-offs, next to hiasint beds, etc...this type of area is ideal.

See if you can spot movement on the surface...fins sticking out, or swirling and wakes. Cast in front of this movement. With each cast (even blind, just to a likely spot), you have to keep contact with the fly. As it hits the water take the slack up...and wait about 10 seconds for the fly to sink (unless you are casting upstream...keep the line tighter then). Then start a slow strip retrieve. 80% of the time, a largie take will occur when the fly hits the water, or the next few seconds while it's sinking down...be prepared, if you feel resistance, do a short sharp strip strike. Normally when largies take the fly you will know all about it anyway!

You will also pick up bigger smallmouth with this fly and tecniques.

Dressing up...you can wear anything from Billabong surf shorts to quick dry long pants. I prefer long pants, quick-dry...because sometimes you walk through thick bush, or reeds, and it protects your legs from scratches etc. Also from sunburn of course.
    Shirts, same deal...you can really wear a t-shirt if you want! I prefer long sleeve cotton shirts, khaki colour. They are cool, dry quick and protect you from sunburn.
    a Wide brimmed hat is essential. Wading boots are not a neccesity but I highly recommend a good pair of wading boots. The rocks are slippery and you will also be bumping your toes on unseen rocks the whole day. Gravel guards are a good idea too, to keep sand and stones out of your boots. Neoprene socks (normal Reef diving neoprene socks are good) are also recommended. But normal socks will do...I just prefer the neoprene ones.

You are coming in Mid-April...the Vaal water temperature will be cooling down, but still bearable. You won't need breathable waders (or neoprene waders...in fact you will get too hot in them most likely). After April (May to June) breathable waders are a very good idea as the water starts becoming uncomfortably cooler.

A wading stick is a VERY GOOD IDEA. Wading can be tricky at the best of times. As you normally cannot see the bottom, it's difficult to wade easy.

Hope this all helps...

Mike

Thumbs up

Thank you Mike this makes me more relaxed,because I have most of the stuff U talking about now it will only be to get the fish to take the fly.

Eish this ones photos is missing as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2