Thread: Fishing for Largescale Yellows today

Default Fishing for Largescale Yellows today

Myself and Byron went largescale yellow hunting today. I am pleased to report we got a couple of nice largescale yellows, one smallscale yellow, a few bass and even a river trout.

Water was a bit murky, which made spotting fish really tough. (Fishing blind for these guys is not really productive, you need to spot them and target specific fish). We also caught a number of really small juvenile fish which is a good sign, they are spawning well.

We fished the Blaaubankspruit. (Don't ask me the venue...I cannot tell).

Flies that worked were small...hotspot nymphs, olive san juan worms, chartreuse caddis nymphs, zak nymphs.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Myself and Byron went largescale yellow hunting today. I am pleased to report we got a couple of nice largescale yellows, one smallscale yellow, a few bass and even a river trout.

Water was a bit murky, which made spotting fish really tough. (Fishing blind for these guys is not really productive, you need to spot them and target specific fish). We also caught a number of really small juvenile fish which is a good sign, they are spawning well.

Flies that worked were small...hotspot nymphs, olive san juan worms, chartreuse caddis nymphs, zak nymphs.

Cheers
    Mike
    Well done to the two of you. A river trout in the Blaauwbank How on earthe do they survive.

Please post public venues for this river. It would lighten the load on the Vaal

P.S. Winter is fast approaching, isn't it time for the Jo'burg/Pta "yuppies" to head East ~ trout waters.

I hope so.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Well done to the two of you. A river trout in the Blaauwbank How on earthe do they survive.

Please post public venues for this river. It would lighten the load on the Vaal

P.S. Winter is fast approaching, isn't it time for the Jo'burg/Pta "yuppies" to head East ~ trout waters.

I hope so.
    I've always seen trout at this venue...but they do get stocked now and then.

Answer to second question: The venue is ----------------------

Yes, trout season (for us Vaalies) are upon us too...that's why I'm heading to Millstream next month!!

I've always seen trout at this venue...but they do get stocked now and then.

Answer to second question: The venue is ----------------------

Yes, trout season (for us Vaalies) are upon us too...that's why I'm heading to Millstream next month!!
    Mike , PUBLIC VENUES, not your private one.

AS an addendum I must say the Vaal numbers are slowing as winter approaches. GOOD NEWS,

I reckon out of the 400 odd Summer Yellow f/f there are about 20 who will persevere through winter, blanking more often than not.

There again the Vaal surroundings in winter are special. It's not in the fish but the whole experience of being there.

Mike , PUBLIC VENUES, not your private one.

AS an addendum I must say the Vaal numbers are slowing as winter approaches. GOOD NEWS,

I reckon out of the 400 odd Summer Yellow f/f there are about 20 who will persevere through winter, blanking more often than not.

There again the Vaal surroundings in winter are special. It's not in the fish but the whole experience of being there.
    It's not really a private one...just a crafty ingenius one....
    Public venues there? Hmm, Brookwood I suppose, and Kloofzicht...but they are expensive to fish....

This winter I am going to concentrate a little more on bigger smallmouth, largemouth, largescales and smallscales too. And trout of course...always a bonus to get some large trout, river trout...dry fly fishing...etc...

This winter I am going to concentrate a little more on bigger smallmouth, largemouth, largescales and smallscales too. And trout of course...always a bonus to get some large trout, river trout...dry fly fishing...etc...
    I've got a venue lined up fot winter. It is dams though, but in the one dam there are both trout and yellows. Considering the river that the dams are built on I would not be suprised to find a LM Yellow or 2.
    Byron has the specifics.

Maybe a winter "not Vaal" get together????

I've got a venue lined up fot winter. It is dams though, but in the one dam there are both trout and yellows. Considering the river that the dams are built on I would not be suprised to find a LM Yellow or 2.
    Byron has the specifics.

Maybe a winter "not Vaal" get together????
    I'm game!!!

I'm game!!!
    Good , will start the enquiries AFTER our return from Douglas. Going to be as busy as hell for the next 14 days.

Cheers
    Mike

Nice Mike....Byron must be in sy noppies as well! I know he always wanted to go fish for large scales.

As for the venue...let them geuss! The Vaal can take the fishing presure....the Blaauwbank not!!!

Well done baldie ... err ... (backspace backspace backspace backspace backspace backspace) Mike, post some pics !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.