Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help with trout please!

Default Help with trout please!

Gents,

I've got a few trout in the freezer. Does anyone have a lekker recipe? I'm clueless when it comes to cooking trout!

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Gents,

I've got a few trout in the freezer. Does anyone have a lekker recipe? I'm clueless when it comes to cooking trout!
    I can highly reccomend this website http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._trout,FF.html ,especialy the crab stuffed trout.Trout needs a bit of help in the flavour department stuffing and baking it is your best bet.

cheers Nick
    Last edited by nicholas; 11-04-08 at 06:18 PM.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I do trout with a dab of butter(about a tablespoon for a 2lb trout),a few drops of lemon juice and a sprinkling of black pepper for baking,I don't add anything when I smoke trout.Hope this helps.

I did a trout a couple of days ago. Was really nice but as nicholas says it needs a little help sometimes.
    I used coarse salt, mixed herbs, garlic and lime and then grilled it for a good 15 mins on each side. tasted great. don't be afraid to use the ingredients! stocked trout needs the flavour!

check out this thread:

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=925

I always try and encourage people to try a good red when they are eating fish,trout,salmon,tuna mackeral ect...the only rule when serving reds is make sure the Tannins are low,this can be difficult with SA wines or new age wines in general,however, Syrah works well and Cab Sav ,throw a bit of money at it and you won't go wrong,If you can go French even better.Rember the only rule.........LOW TANNINS

cheers Nick
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

A semi-sweet wine will do as well,nothing wrong with a bottle of OBS.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I always try and encourage people to try a good red when they are eating fish,trout,salmon,tuna mackeral ect...the only rule when serving reds is make sure the Tannins are low,this can be difficult with SA wines or new age wines in general,however, Syrah works well and Cab Sav ,throw a bit of money at it and you won't go wrong,If you can go French even better.Rember the only rule.........LOW TANNINS

cheers Nick
    Are you also sourcing the wine for Douglas????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Stuff it with lemon slices, onion rings and fresh fennel. Bit of butter and fish or cajun spice on the skin place it on a slice or four of lemon in the smoker... can't beat fresh smoked trout with scrambled eggs on toast.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post

cheers Nick
    Don't talk, just BRING!

Hi James, how's Harrow? Wasn't Churchill's favo champers Krug Cristal or however it's spelt - do all the future prime ministers still cheat at English?

PS Saints hockey 1st team stuffed up Scotch College Perth 3-2 tonight at the 1 + All Astro - missed your presence!! Your dad wasn't there either, probably working on an Old Etonians OV2...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

Are you also sourcing the wine for Douglas????
    only what i need to drink whilst i cook,and as you probally know, its 1 for the pot and two for the chef
    James Boswell.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast