Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CDC Nymph - Step by Step

Default CDC Nymph - Step by Step

I have been fishing this pattern for some time now and it never ceases to amaze me how something so simple and quick to tie can be so effective. On my recent Rhodes trip, I fished it almost exclusively when nymphing and it worked exceptionally well on all the rivers I fished. You need to tie it with a tungsten bead otherwise it will fish as an emerger Even with a tungsten bead, you need to give it a couple of squeezes underwater/add a bit of saliva to it/or treat it with a sinkant in order to get it to sink initially. When I first started fishing it, I thought that the orange bead must be the reason for it's effectiveness. While this does play a part, on my Rhodes trip I had several occasions when the fly had taken so many fish it was in tatters - just a bead and a bit of black cotton. I tried fishing the pattern like this in several runs without a single take. As soon as I changed to a fresh fly and fished the identical run I would get takes. I repeated this enough times to believe that the CDC does play a very important role in the patterns effectiveness. The CDC obviously provides a lot of natural movement which I suspect is one of the key triggers. Once you have the hook placed in the vise, it typically takes less than a minute to tie the fly - very appealing quality when you want to knock out 5 or 10 before fishing.

Here are the video sequences (thanks to Wiets) on tying this fly and the slightly longer but more durable version:
    http://www.weizter.org/Images/Video/DLampertCDCNymphS.html
    http://www.weizter.org/Images/Video/...CNymphIIS.html

Hook: Grip 12003 #14 or equivalent
    Bead: 2mm Fluoro Orange Tungsten
    Thread: Gordon Griffiths Sheer Thread (Colour to match body)
    Tail, abdomen & thorax: CDC Feather (Colour of choice)

Step1
    Add bead to hook and place in vise

Step2
    Run thread down to bend of hook

Step3
    Stroke fibres towards tip of CDC feather and tie in tips as tail. Length of tail should be around shank length. Normally around 4 wraps will secure the feather.

Step4
    Leaving the thread at the tail tie in point, grab the end of the feather with your fingers or hackle pliers and simply wind it around the shank towards the eye of the hook forming a tapered body. When you get to the thorax section, make your wraps a bit closer together in order to bulk up the thorax a bit. At this stage you should start getting some of the longer fibres which will allow a soft hackle collar behind the bead. Holding the end of the feather in your right hand, run the thread over the body to strengthen it.

Step5
    Trim the end of the feather off and whip finish.
    Last edited by dlampert; 29-07-08 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added video link
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Nice fly, thanks Darryl ! Where do you guys get Tungsten beads in that colour ? I've only managed to find black one and brass coloured ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Nice fly, thanks Darryl ! Where do you guys get Tungsten beads in that colour ? I've only managed to find black one and brass coloured ones.
    Hi Shaun,

Frontier or any of the other JHB shops should sell fluoro orange tungstens - they are very popular components of a lot of yellowfish patterns. A work around is to buy some Loon Orange UV Fly Paint and apply to your black and brass coloured tungstens. I also tie the pattern with brass coloured tungstens - still very effective.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Hi Shaun

I was in Frontier the other day, and yes they definitely do have the flourecent orange beads in tungsten in stock.

Mike

Nice fly darryl.....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Shaun

I was in Frontier the other day, and yes they definitely do have the flourecent orange beads in tungsten in stock.

Mike
    Wikid, thanks !

Up there again in June so I'll hang on until then.

Wikid, thanks !

Up there again in June so I'll hang on until then.
    Just watch out, some of their stock goes as fast as it comes in! That Metz FL. Red antron yarn being a case in point. But I see they have loads of that at the moment too.

Must say, they are very well stocked. I couldn't find marabou anywhere with really long fibers...but I did at their shop. I think the Spirit River brand of marabou is better than the Wapsi brand (I have both, when compared, the Spirit River stuff just seems better, and have longer "fibery" stems all the way up...whereas the Wapsi goes to a point rather quickly, not fluffy enough all the way the the tips of the marabou fibers.)

And no, there is no commercial value in this post, just my honest opinion.

Mike

That looks like my kind of fly, simple, easy to tie with minimal effort and deadly effective. Nice one Darryl, thanks!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Guys

Where do you buy your CDC from, i checked in the shop the other day, R50 for 6 feathers

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

Where do you buy your CDC from, i checked in the shop the other day, R50 for 6 feathers

Cheers
    Hi Pierre

I get mine from overseas, J.S. Flyfishing. http://www.jsflyfishing.com/
    They are quick to deliver, reliable, and I have never had anything go missing (touch wood). The guys' name is James...he deals with a bunch of guys in South Africa, so he knows the drill.

Or check out the direct link: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category/73000
    Just scroll through the pages, there is a hell of a lot of feathers there, the CDC is on some of the pages.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast