Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BFG9000 - Step by Step

I know this was posted a while ago but wow, what a pattern Shaun! Don't know how I missed it when it as posted, but I will definitely be giving it a try asap. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the compliments, but there's really nothing groundbreaking in the pattern that hasn't been done before, but for some reason I seemed to get a bit lucky with this one in that the size, action, profile, colour combination just seems to work.

In retrospect, since I posted the fly last April after first trying it in April 2007, it again proved itself as my most productive stillwater fly of the year last year.

Nice fly there Shaun - like an improved muddler with the zonker strip giving it that much more movement.

Where would one get the lead tape?

Must say that I haven't really been a big fan of muddlers, but pulled one out a wee while back when naught else was producing - next minute, it looked like a scene out of "GT Wars" with the rainbows smashing the muddler on the surface before it even had time to get down. Awesome fun we had.
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Just out of interest...you know what the "BFG" stands for, from the game?

"BIG F***ING GUN"

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Nice fly there Shaun - like an improved muddler with the zonker strip giving it that much more movement.

Where would one get the lead tape?

Must say that I haven't really been a big fan of muddlers, but pulled one out a wee while back when naught else was producing - next minute, it looked like a scene out of "GT Wars" with the rainbows smashing the muddler on the surface before it even had time to get down. Awesome fun we had.
    Jan, the fly is essentially a cross between a Zonker and a Muddler. The thing is, although both patterns are successful, this fly seems to be that much more effective than either of the 2.

Wapsi do a sticky backed lead tape. Haven't seen it in any of the shops recently but you can definitely order it online.

@ Mike: Yip, Big F&%$ing Gun, or in my case, Big F&%%ing Gemors!

This fly should also work wonders for Largies.

I have had good results with Zonker-type flies for trout; but this fly should be more durable.

Thank you for sharing.

That fly's a cracker, Shaun. I think it would also be great in other colour permutations to imitate various other bait fish.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    That fly's a cracker, Shaun. I think it would also be great in other colour permutations to imitate various other bait fish.
    Hi Chris,

I also tie it with a green deer hair head, natural Elk collar and green Mink to imitate the big tadpoles of the Common River Frog that we find in many of our stillwaters, as well as in black with a copper mylar body which I've nicknamed The Rottweiler.

FlyFanatic Banned User

Excellent fly!! This one is gonna nail the Bass!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Wow! Thanks for o unselfishly sharing such a killer pattern. It took me back to the days when I was 13 years old and read Veinards flytying books like novels...

It looks great and will definitely get a try as soon as I can secure the materials. I have also never tied with Mylar tubing before, but your pattern is inspiration to start.

Regards,
    PTN
    Very very nice. Fishing alot of mink these days. My wife asked me why I spent R700.00 on a few bits of mink when I told her I needed a few materials.

she then asked to see the rest of the fur coat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast