Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: BFG9000 - Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I though you were going to kuk me out for pillaging your SBS And then distributing it!
    Not at all. The SBS's were all posted on this site to begin with. It was my own stupidity that buggered them up. I got bored a while back and decided to reorganise my photobucket account, as everything was just in the default album, which had over time built up to hundreds of pictures, which made finding things difficult. I spent hours organising all the photo's into albums without realising that it would break all the links. Now I just don't have the time to go back and fix literally hundreds of links so that they display again.

Doh!

Last night I got out my material chest, got all the materials and some variations for tying a few BFG's, all nicely laid out on the tying bench. Then... I take out my No 8 TMC box and .... not a single hook in the box, all out.

What a disappointment. Ah well, Upstream here I come, just found out their only about a k from my place
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

The smaller sizes actually seem to work better - ask Shaun, Graham, Mike, etc for their opinions too. Personally I like the #10's and #12's.
    Check your knots!

Thanks Dave, 10's and 12's I've got plenty, have you had any success with this fly?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

TMC300 #8 is my hook type/size of choice for this fly. I also occassionally tie it in #6, but mostly in #8.

In # 8 Mink zonker gives the correct proportions. Rabbit zonker doesn't work well because the fur is too long, which buggers up the proportions of the fly and results in a lot of short takes.

In smaller sizes, even Mink becomes a bit long, and it becomes difficult to construct the lead/mylar body and still keep the hook gape nice and open.

Another important thing to get used to when fishing this pattern is not to strike if the fly just gets bumped. Only strike once you feel a solid take. Fish often seem to bump the fly once or twice before taking solidly, probably in an attempt to stun the prey. If you strike prematurely, you pull the fly away from the fish.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 13-07-09 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks for that Shaun. I spoke to John from Upstream but he's out of #8 hooks and wont get in before my trip this weekend. Will have to make do with size 10's for now. Will tie up some 8's and 6's next week. Will see if the Mylar Tubing isn't maybe too thick for #10 also.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Thanks Dave, 10's and 12's I've got plenty, have you had any success with this fly?
    I'm a big fan of this fly and lately when I'm not sure what to start with a BFG or a cone-head muddler gets ties on.

I'm using mustad R74's in #10 and they're 4xl. The TMC's are 6xl so they're even longer - take what Shaun says about proportions to heart before you use any #10 or #12.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Thanks for that Shaun. I spoke to John from Upstream but he's out of #8 hooks and wont get in before my trip this weekend. Will have to make do with size 10's for now. Will tie up some 8's and 6's next week. Will see if the Mylar Tubing isn't maybe too thick for #10 also.
    Has Stream-X not got stock? Check with Craig...

021 551 4248

5 Arlington Way, Milnerton Ridge, 7441

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Has Stream-X not got stock? Check with Craig...

021 551 4248

5 Arlington Way, Milnerton Ridge, 7441
    Thanks Mike,

My weekend fishing got buggered up by work so I've got the whole week to source hooks, materials etc and tie flies. Managed to tie a bunch of BFG's in size 10 with mink and a few PTN's in different colours this w/e. We'll see what they do.

Finally fixed the links to the pics.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5