Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BFG9000 - Step by Step

Default BFG9000 - Step by Step

BFG9000

For those of you who've ever played computer games like Doom, the BFG9000 would be a familiar name. It was the name of a gun that simply devastated everything within the immediate vicinity.

I call this fly the BFG9000 because quite simply it is the most productive wet fly/streamer type fly that I've ever used. This fly has taken countless fish for me including a trout of over 10lbs last year.

Receipe

Hook: TMC 300 #8
    Thread: UTC 140 Black
    Underbody: Lead Tape
    Body: Medium Mylar tubing. I especially like Olive green for this pattern
    Wing: Black Mink Zonker strip
    Collar: Elk hair, dyed black
    Head: Coastal Deer Hair, Dyed black

Step 1:

Cut a section of adhesive backed lead tape approximately 2/3 the length of the hook shank. Fold it over the hook shank as per the photo.

Step 2:

Trim the lead tape as per the photo. Try not to leave any sharp corners on the tape.

Step 3:

Insert the hook into your vice. Tie on your thread directly behind the lead underbody. Cut a section of mylar approximately the length of the hook shank and slip over the hook, past the end of the underbody.

Step 4:

Secure the mylar by making a few wraps. I like to half hitch several times and apply some head cement at this point too.

Step 5:

Cut a section of Mink Zonker strip approximately the length of the hook shank and tie in as per the photo. Tie off, cut thread and apply head cement.

Step 6:

Move to in front of the underbody, and tie in your thread again by wrapping a noose around the mylar and pulling tight on both the tag end and the thread bobbin, and making several wraps to secure.

Step 7:

Pull the Mink Zonker strip forward and secure. Trim off the excess.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:36 PM.

Step 8:

Prepare a bunch of Elk hair and tie in as a collar. Push back and secure with a few wraps.

Step 9:

Prepare and spin a bunch of Coastal Deer hair directly in front of the Elk collar. Push back with your fingers, whip finish the fly and apply head cement.

Step 10:

Remove the fly from the vice and trim the head to a conical shape, taking care not to cut the collar.

Last edited by ShaunF; 13-11-09 at 04:37 PM.

That sure looks like a very deadly 3 in one combination. You have it all there, movement in the Zonker like top strip, flash in the mylar body combined with an air trapping/water dispersing muddler head, has to be a winner! BRILLIANT!!!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Chris,

Thanks ! Honestly, this fly has proven to me to be absolutely deadly, and you better make sure you hang on to your rod when you fish it, because the fish absolutely smash it. I've also noticed that if a fish does take and miss, it will come back again and again and again, which to me indicates that it is something they desperately want to eat. I tied up a couple as an experiment before I went to EG last year and on day 3 decided to give one a try. My catch rate doubled over the next few days and ultimately meant I ended up catching more fish than the other 3 guys combined, and took the biggest fish of the trip. It's been a staple in my box ever since.

The buoyancy of the deer hair head partly counteracts the lead weight, so the fly sinks slowly, and when you pause, it sits slightly head up in the water. The Elk collar looks like legs sticking out the sides from underneath, and the mink has incredible pulsing swimming motion in the water.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 13-04-08 at 03:54 PM.

I agree with Chris, very nice pattern Shaun. Shot for sharing!

Mike

Thanks for sharing Shaun, you're a star! I will definitely be tying up a few of those before my next stillwater trip. Will let you know how it went.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Another great thing about the fly that I didn't mention, is the profile. You've really got it all there. It is a very well thought out fly. Once again, well done!

Very Lekker fly! It even looks like a BFG9000!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Very nice

Like the colour combination....

Gonna tie me some when I get the oppportunity!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Wow! Thanks for o unselfishly sharing such a killer pattern. It took me back to the days when I was 13 years old and read Veinards flytying books like novels...

It looks great and will definitely get a try as soon as I can secure the materials. I have also never tied with Mylar tubing before, but your pattern is inspiration to start.

Regards,
    PTN

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast