Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Small Scale Yellows

Thumbs up

Dear Wade,

In case you havn't tried this, I've used this system over the years having been shown it by some Polish mates - most of the 'Czech' nymphers use this or similar now. Buy yourself a spool of braided mono hi-vis running line. Cortland produce a good one and for yellows I use 30lb. I use yellow but you can get orange and white as well, latter can be pre-marked with any other flou or other colour you may wish. You can vary the length but usually try to end up after splicing both ends with approx 20/35 cm length depending on your preference/requirements. Make loops in both ends by splicing. You can use splicing needles but they're a bit fragile, I prefer doubling a length of stiffish wire. Give this the braid a thoroughly good greasing with high-quality floatant, and loop one end to your fly line and the other to the end of your leader. You'll find the running line has a natural wax finish in any event for 'line speed' which you can remove prior to adding floatant or not whichever you wish. The braid 'indicator' doesn't make any noise, you have a far better sighting of what your leader is actually doing and where it is under water, it becomes part of the line/leader system and in addition the slight 'give' in the braid gives a bit of a buffer against big takes, especially when using short Czech leaders. Even if the 'indicator' braid gets sucked underwater by currents and-or weight of heavy flies you can still detect takes, and as Scythe says, in any event stay in contact with your flies all the time. Often the braid may not even be touching the water as you in any event keep direct contact with the team of flies. This system means you don't have an ungainly 'hinge' and 'weight' in your line. It's also useful if you use a drab-coloured dry line when distance-nymphing for trout etc etc.

Give it a try - I also have lousy eyesight and I find this rig is a real aid for me and many others feel the same, hope you have as much enjoyment with this set-up as I do

Thanks for the info Chris.
    I will definately give it a try on the weekend as i do not have time to get it before tomorow and i want to be at the river early morning.

Thanks again.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

I take it after I showed you how I fish without an indicator and colour my line with a black marker I still didnt qualify as an expert

See you tomorrow Wade
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I take it after I showed you how I fish without an indicator and colour my line with a black marker I still didnt qualify as an expert

See you tomorrow Wade
    Sorry D
    I tried it but my eyes just cant see it. I think with the thicker braided line it might be easier.

I must do something about the seeing thing as i landed up looking like a fat ugly hippo with its but in the sky when the Cape breeze sent my glasses for a swim.

Looking forward to tomorow toooooo much......
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Default and info is given

well im taking it that this post has something to do with the previous...
    i must say im glad that there are so many of you guys out there that are keen to help us novices like myself. dizzy i read that article in tcff and yes its the new one.... ok so thanks alot to everyone who contributed im sure i will put it into good use soon i hope!

i cjec nymph so i dont use a strike indicator, it works for me! im definately no pro but if u need some one to show you basics send me a mail.
    doing my bit to conserve are you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2